Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Fridge (2 of 2) GSH25JSTCSS -- stinks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Customer called complaining that her fridge and freezer smell like fish or shrimp.

I have had this issue before turn out to be a dead mouse.  Took the back over off and examined the area carefully.  No dead mice, no mouse droppings, no nest -- no signs of vermin.

I could definitely smell something, but the customer definitely smelled it more than I did.  She was freezing French cigarettes in the freezer, and the box smelled strongly of the fish smell, but the customer said she had been doing this long before the scent problem.

Took off the evaporator cover -- no sign that the heater had burned any styrofoam.

Tasted the ice -- the ice was a little odd tasting, but nothing really strong to me.  However, the water out of the dispenser tasted horrible.  Customer has a braided water line, not copper.

Other than that, I really could not find anything interesting.  None of the food in either section smelled like the fishy smell.  The customer had cleaned the entire refrigerator with hot water a few days before my arrival.

So I've got nothing I can point to with real confidence.  I advised the customer to dump all of her ice (she had not done so when she cleaned the unit out) clean her ice bucket, and turn her ice maker off.  I also told her to put some charcol and some sliced apples to absorb odors. If the problem does not recur, then I would say the problem is with the braided line. 

Anyone else have an idea or any experience with mystery odors?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

I hate those calls 'cause they never tell you about the real reason they cleaned it all with hot water before you arrived.  Halloween party they had, someone went rooting around in there after many shots of Jack Daniels and knocked over a tray of fresh shrimp - this went unnoticed until a few days later when the hangover subsided, by then the "juices" had time to drip into every nook and cranny. by now it is well aged and probably never go away - cups of coffee grounds/ deodorizers etc placed throughout the fridge is about the only defense.

Deodorizer-78956-01215143.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

i hear ya kdog...i hate those calls also. mostly because i CANT FIX STUPID!

when (and this is happening soon) i am on my own, i will not accept calls on stinking fridges...my current employer does not know the word "no"

get out the bleach and clean it out ya lazy slugs...

As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

I turned down a warranty call at Lowe's  because the inside of the refrigerator was filthy dirty.  Stupid on Lowe's to take back a refrigerator because it's been abused.  The power cord was frayed, the door gasket was coming out it's channel because it was full of sticky stuff everywhere. No way was I going to work on that mess.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics