Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

lg lfx23961sw fridge cool spot

refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

This ~18 cu. ft. bottom freezer, French Door fridge has been a serious PITA ever since I bought it.  Sure glad I got the extended warranty.

Yesterday I noticed that the left side of the fridge, OUTSIDE, half way down and about 1/3 from back to front, was cold. 

• Cold enough that when I reached over for the coffee filter, I felt the cold before I even touched anything. 
  • So cold that water was dripping down onto the floor. 

• This can't be good for my electrical bills.

All the doors are properly sealed (but this is noplace near the door.)  The "cold spot" is approximately a square foot in area.

I have a service call in on this, but I hate to waste their money if this is standard.  If it is standard, I have to wonder why I never noticed this before, as I have had the thing out from the wall a dozen or more times.

Any hints?

tx

mac

Edited by pcmacd, 05 December 2012 - 08:02 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

Void in the insulation foam between liner and cabinet - non-repairable, if you have LG rep coming will result in new fridge

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for your prompt response.

• ...kinda what I expected.

What the what else could it be?

What troubles me is that I have not previously noticed it.  I cannot imagine a scenario where the styro just decides to evaporate?

The service guys have been in the back of the freezer a few times with the coils exposed, but still, nothing that could have made this happen???

I had a minor in refrigeration at Purdue, as an M.E., and significant experience in repair of industrial refrigeration and cooling at US Steel in Gary IN (read HIGH TEMP ENVIRONS ACs on gantry cranes above several 300 ton heats of steel.... as well as such mundane things as window units & water coolers) AND, to get the freaking pint, _sort of expected_ this precise answer.

I cannot imagine what this has been doing to my Southern Kalifornia Edison bill every month for the last four or five years.

Tanks again.

mac

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Did any one work on the sealed system ???           As in, refrigerant was added ????

#5 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

Nope.  No insertion. No leaking gas here. 

The fridge seems to otherwise be running fine, so it does not look like a freon spout!

• It's just... sheesh! 

• Why in the blazing hell do I have this 1.0 to 1.5 square foot of very COLD on the left, ~center outside of the fridge sheet metal ??? 

• This is nuts.

Tanks for your reply.

mac

#6 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Well, the very competent, pleasant factory repair guy for the LA area called today.

It seems they are using less and less insulation to make more room in the fridge for food.

He's not the kind of guy who would bullshit a person.  Not at all.

So?  I guess this has always been there and I have not noticed it?

1. I am truly conflicted. 

I cannot imagine for a moment an Engergy Star rated appliance having such a gaping energy leak.

2. I never noticed this before.  Consider that I have had this thing out a few times to clean the coils, that I have [ancient] experience in servicing refrigeration units of all flavors, and that I'm a mechanical engineer with all manner of experience in the proper design of stuff.

3. I just don't know what to think.  The service guy says that these units do it.  I believe him; I still find it incredible that a designer would throw energy away in order to store a couple more pork chops.

Sheesh.

mac

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

<<<I have [ancient] experience in servicing refrigeration units of all flavors, and that I'm a mechanical engineer with all manner of experience in the proper design of stuff.>>>

<<<I still find it incredible that a designer would throw energy away in order to store a couple more pork chops.>>>

Fiberglass is no longer used---except perhaps---in el cheapo refrigerators.

http://www.polyureth...on-and-freezers

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#8 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Why did you bring up fiberglass? 

• I assumed the insulation is styrofoam or polyurethane....

mac

#9 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

<<<Why did you bring up fiberglass? 

• I assumed the insulation is styrofoam or polyurethane....>>>

Oh...

Wasn't sure how current that you were---on the type of insulation used.

But you also posted...

<<<I still find it incredible that a designer would throw energy away in order to store a couple more pork chops.>>>

To achieve more space in refrigerators (cu ft size)---newer *ultra thin insulation* technology is used.

It's not likely that energy efficiency would be compromised for larger capacity these days---especially with the DOE mandated energy guide and others (Tier 1,2,3 ratings etc).

BTW---I agree with Kdog...

Likely a flaw/fault in the injected-then-cured insulation (pocket/gap) on your LG refrig....

Not *common* but---have seen it before.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#10 pcmacd

pcmacd

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Well, the tech, "JAMES", has been pretty straight.  He also goes to (extreme!) lengths to explain things that I already understand, so I know he's doing his best here.

He says he sees this all the time; condensation on the outer skin of an LG box NOT around the door seals.

He's to straight to doubt his assessment.

Should I post to a larger audience on LG issues??

thanks to 'yall for your support.

mac

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Power to you and God speed...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics