Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore, icemaker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JanMa

JanMa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:09 AM

Here is the story:

• Ice would not harvest.
  • Manually initiated harvest cycle (jumped T and H). It worked.:)
  • could not hear valve openning at the end of harvest cycle. Checked, there is no water in the mold and heater assembly.
  • Water flows from water dispenser as normal.
  • Can you help?:)
[/*]
JanMa

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

A model would be helpful since Kenmore is a private label and could be Whirlpool, G.E., Frigidaire, or Amana. But I suspect it is a Whirlpool Ref.  You either have a defective water valve on the ice maker side of the dual valve or a bad ice maker head, which is what gives voltage to the water valve just before it stalls for harvest.  Also make sure the fill  spout to the ice maker is not frozen up with ice.  But if you did not hear the fill valve coil hum,  the valve could be bad or the ice maker is not giving power to the coil.   Check the water valve first. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 JanMa

JanMa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Pegi.

The model is 106.53232300

How do I check the water valve?

JanMa

#4 PK

PK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Yes, the prefix of 106 means Whirlpool Cooling Products.  You would need to take the plastic line off of the ice maker side of the fill valve and and attach a test cord to the 2 terminals and plug it into a 120 volt outlet and see if a good stream of water comes thru.  This by-passes the ice maker. If you do get good water flow, the valve should be good.  If very little comes out or just sprays a little it may be going bad, and will not be enough to fill the ice maker.  If you do have a real good strong flow of water, this would indicate there is no voltage to the valve from the ice maker, meaning the ice maker is defective or something has happened to the wiring to the valve.  Pegi
"Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma Since 1978"

#5 JanMa

JanMa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:10 AM

The valve is OK. Water flows well. Since I had wires disconnected from the vlve, I started ice harvesting cycle and waited with my multimeter attached to the electrical connector. There was 17 to18 Volts all around the cycle, except when the mark on the wheel passed 3:30 to 4:00 oclock. then the voltage dropped to zero. I think I have a faulty icemaker.:(

Do I have to buy entire unit? Is there anything else I can test?

Thanks PK

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:41 AM

That could be the park postion but sure seems to be too far as would be below the stripper at 3:30-4 o:clock.   Should stall about the 2:00 position.  Call the repair shops in your area to see is any of them have an ice maker testing board like I do.  If so, take the ice maker to them for testing. This will test the ice maker and will show if the ice maker is sending power to the valve. The IM head can be purchased seperately, but at around $100.00 the whole ice maker is not much nore than this.   Let me know what you find out.  Pegi
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#7 JanMa

JanMa

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

Called a couple of shops. They could not (or did not want to) test the maker. Decided to check it myself. I found out that heating element shows infinite resistance. This can't be right. I think I'm going to get the molding/heating assembly and see if this does the trick. What do you think, Pegi?

#8 PK

PK

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

Well, the heater working or not would have nothing to do with no power to the water valve. The heater comes on to loosen the ice from the mold when it goes thru the harvest cycle, the ice maker calls for water for 8 1/2 seconds just before the ice maker stalls in the freeze position.  If the heater was out and there was ice in the mold, the rake would just sit there on the ice and go no further, would just hold in the stall position.  Replacing the mold would not be much less than just replacing the ice maker, or the head. You still need to see why there is no voltage to the valve during that 8 1/2 seconds just before the freeze mode.  Pegi
"Serving North Central Texas & Southern Oklahoma Since 1978"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics