Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

U-Line Ice Maker, Model# BI-2115, could use service manual

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

U-line Ice Maker, Model# BI2115, could use service manual and a clue.  Customer called and the refrerant systems is cooling o.k. and water is getting into the unit from the house, just not pumping water and or not making ice.  He said its the non-drain type of ice maker.  Thanks for any hints on what to look for.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

U-Line IceMaker BI2115

http://appliantology...service-manual/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

This unit does not pump water , it's more like a household fridge the way it makes ice

the box gets cold and the ice maker freezes

the problem with these units most of the time is a small over heat fuse inside the icemaker

this fuse gets wet and falls apart

it can be checked with an ohm meter , most likely it's open

i am not sure you can even  buy one

most of the time it makes more sense to sell a new module

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

This makes sense.  I was all excitted to use the 'ice maker diagnosis flow chart' on page 2-3 of the manual and I couldn't get the ice maker to even harvest.  I tried pulling the tines forward and advancing the gear with a screw driver, no harvest. I had a heck of a time getting the ice maker out because the gummy stuff stuck to the bottom.  Once removed I checked for voltage at the wire harness and did get 120v across some pins. I have know idea what pins power what, but the ice maker was getting power somewhere.  Looking at the wire diagram on page 5-4 it looks to me like it could be the ice maker control (but possibly not, because i was getting power) or what you mentioned with the limit switch inside the module.  I'm leaning toward your diagnosis and am going to price a new ice maker for the customer.  thanks.

#5 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:40 AM

Well, I'm back with more questions. I installed the new ice maker unit and when I powered up it cycled and when it was time to fill with water, nothing. I checked the valve and looks like a bad valve, water to valve, lots of pressure.  Now I realize it was never the ice maker with the problem but the valve.  Here is my question, how do I cycle the stupid ice maker?  I tried the original one and the new one; tried advancing the gear clock wise with a screw driver, pulling the tines forward, no go. Am I missing something simple on how to get it to cycle? thanks.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,706 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Here is my question, how do I cycle the stupid ice maker?  

Did you check with the service manual that Reg posted for you?

#7 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

post a photo of the front of the ice maker , showing the gear (cover removed )

there are only 3 types out there

as soon as we see it , most of us will know how this ice maker is advanced and you will have your answer

Edited by Cactus Bob, 05 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#8 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Attached is a sideways photo of the end of the ice maker.  I put the new valve in but over tightned the plastic compression nut on the valve, is there a special part number for those, different threads than copper or anything I had?  Also, I would still love to know how to cycle the ice maker....

Attached Files

#9 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

a small flat head screwdriver in the little gear , it will turn only one way , it will make little clicks as it goes around .

if it is powered on , after you turn it a few turns it will take off on it's own and go through a cycle

if the little gear will not turn with a screwdriver (some do not )

remove the large gear

and move the tines that eject the ice slowly in the normal direction the motor would have driven them

when you reach a point the little gear will take off running , replace large gear (quickly)

and watch through a cycle

#10 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

thanks a million!  can't wait to try it!

#11 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Attached File  UlineValve.JPG   41.26KB   5 downloadsAttached File  UlineValvee.JPG   34.12KB   5 downloadsI now need help finding the part number for the plastic compression fitting and feral.  Once i find it, I will order a bunch for van inventory.  Attached is the photo of the valve and nut. The valve P/N is 2552a.

#12 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

AlexM : I can only guess that you don't do a lot of ice maker work

the next time you need a GE IM6 check the price on a whole kit it , it comes with water valve , ice tray and head . most of the time it's cheaper that the head alone

what you end up with after a few years is a whole bunch of water valves kicking around

all these valves are the same except for mounting

great to have for problems like this

another handy thing you can do . next time you go on a job where the ice maker is not hooked up , tell the owner you can remove it and give him more freezer space

A lot of the time he will say yes , put the ice maker in your truck , this will give you extra parts to use to test , play around with and learn from or sell to someone with little money for a new one

Start getting creative , and you will always have what you need

#13 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

You are correct about the inexperience, I've been a general contractor the last 25 years and jumped into the appliance repair business with little to no training, not recommended.

I just opened up a IM6 kit and found a single valve but in most definately has a quick connect for the water line, not a threaded compression nut.  Is there some coupler to convert?

#14 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

May I add,  the last 6 months, attempting to repair appliances, has been the most humbling  of experiences.  I marvel at the level of expertise you all have.  Everytime someone responds to my silly questions I'm very greatful and amazed, Thanks!

#15 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Oh man, It just dawned on me what your talking about...you mean to just use the single valve out of the IM6 and ditch the threaded one from Uline?!  I'm slow on the uptake...

Then I can use a brass ferel and nut in lue of of the gardan hose style feed?  The single valve is part number WR57X10033?  Thanks again.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics