Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana belt drive washer squeal

spin hum washer intermittent squeal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ray26

Ray26

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

I have a ~15 yo Amana belt drive washer, model LW6153WM, that works well until it gets to the spin cycle. At that point it makes a loud medium high pitched squeal for a few seconds then shuts off. If we can get to it in time we then push the control knob to stop the process, otherwise it shuts off itself. When we come back an hour or so later and pull the knob we can hear the squeal again before it catches and continues in the cycle...sometimes. At other times we have to go away and try again later. We are down to being able to wash one load a day. I replaced the belt a few months ago...still good. Drain pump works well, but when I removed the motor I noticed burned/melted black rubber on much of the top of the pump. Is this fixable or is it toast? If it's fixable, what do I do next? Thanks in advance for your help in (hopefully) lowering my frustration level.

Edited by Ray26, 11 December 2012 - 06:37 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Were the belt shavings cleaned off when you changed the belt previous ?

Why was the Belt changed ? 

Here is the manual: http://appliantology...ve-rs3100007r0/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Ray26

Ray26

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

The belt was changed because it was the original belt and was falling apart. Prompting to change the belt came from a burn smell.

I did not clean any previous shavings because there didn't seem to be many and I assumed, as a novice, that what I was seeing was normal for 15 years use. They are much thicker and more melted now than they were then.

Thanks for the manual. Still open for more thoughts from you experts.

Thanks

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

Possibly you routed the new belt incorrectly and it is contacting something, or you have the wrong belt, there were several for those machines, only slight differences in length.

This one comes up:

http://www.repaircli...Number=LW6153WM

Drive-Belt-28808-00554518.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Ray26

Ray26

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

The belt numbers match, but I don't think I had the belt encircling the rear pump leg when I replaced it. I'll try that.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

#6 Ray26

Ray26

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

The manual calls for using No. 03637P lubricant to help "keep moisture out of the hub area and prevent corrosion." Is there another name for that lubricant that would be more recognizable to a novice?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

I don't think I had the belt encircling the rear pump leg

That'll do it, likely need another belt now - easy to get that belt on wrong need to be careful.

Would be "too late" now to lubricate hub seal as it is packed when manufactured.

Do you see evidence of leak/corrosion from the bearing in the underside of tub ?

If so - go no further and shop for machine.

http://www.repaircli...e/26594P/467608

Grease-26594P-00557442.jpg

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

Also check if water has been dribbling from pump bottom where it slides on motorshaft as that would contaminate bearing in motor and cause squeal. Try running machine with belt disconnected to see if there is noise then.

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:40 AM

The idler pulley may also be worn.  You need to spin it by hand and see if it moves freely or if it binds.

Scott Wolf

#10 Ray26

Ray26

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I pulled on the belt and the unit turns both ways easily. I took off the belt but still hear the squeel when I run it with power. However the squeel is much shorter. Does that tell you anything?

Update - Just tried to run a load. All is well during rinse, etc. but spin still gets caught. I watched the motor/belt area and saw the belt move a couple of inches before the whole thing shut down.

Edited by Ray26, 12 December 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#11 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

if the motor still squeels without the belt on the problem is with the motor or pump

Edited by sh2sh2, 12 December 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

You can now remove the pump monting screws and slide the pump off of the motor shaft and try spin cycle with the pump off - still a chance that the large centre pulley is binding (tub bearing or transmission failure)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spin, hum, washer, intermittent, squeal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics