Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Icemaker Problem

LG Refrigerator Icemaker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 k2ue

k2ue

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Columbian coffee

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I have an LG LRFC22750TT which suddenly stopped making ice.  I replaced the entire icemaker assembly, the new one having 3 size lights vs. 5 on the original, and the ice-forming tray is teflon coated vs. the orginal which was not.  You occasionally hear the water solenoid valve open, and what sounds like water flow, but no ice is produced.  What is the correct troubleshooting sequence for this problem, or is there an obvious cause I am not aware of?

Clyde Washburn

Victor, NY

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Is water actually entering the ice maker mold?  Stick your fingers in and see.  If not, then the fill tube is probably frozen. 

If it is and the mold is full of ice but not harvesting, then you probably got a bad ice maker.  The service manual has the ice maker self test ==> http://appliantology...service-manual/

Basically, press and hold the Fill Key for 3 seconds. The ice maker will run through 3 stages: Harvest Fill Icemaking.  See page 17 in the linked manual for more.  

#3 k2ue

k2ue

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

It does not fill during the fill phase of the test, even though it sounds like it is.  How do you clear a frozen fill tube -- If that isn't it the valve must be bad.

Clyde Washburn

Victor, NY

#4 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Is the water supply line turned on?
If a LG water filter is stopped up the water will not flow.

#5 k2ue

k2ue

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

There is no supply line filter (the main supply is filtered thru a carbon block filter, and other users flow OK).  So doesn't that leave a frozen fill tube or a plugged solenoid valve?

Clyde Washburn

Victor, NY

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

The solenoids on refrigerators rarely plug because they are low-flow, unlike the cold water side of a washing machine inlet solenoid which passes a relatively high flow volume.

Check to make sure the water supply is turned on as Brother jumptrout advised.  Also check for good pressure at the water inlet vavle:  turn off water supply, undo water inlet tube from solenoid, place tube in bucket, secure, turn on water, behold the flow.  Should be goodnstrong, blasting out of there.  If just a wimpy leetle girly-man flow, then there's a problem with the water supply shut off valve.  

To check the fill tube, remove ice maker and run a wire or 1/4" nylon tubing into the fill tube.  Should make it to the back of the freezer cabinet before the fill tube takes and 90 degree turn to the valve.  If it doesn't make it that far, there's an ice plug in there. 

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

Stick your fingers in and see.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics