Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KM (Frigidaire) laundry center 417.94802301 not pumping out

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

To the Dojo,

I've got a conundrum. The pump is new and clear, but, connected to 120 VAC, no water is pumped out. What am I missing? When I pull the drain hose, I can hear movement but no pump-out.

Thanks in advance,

Tyrus

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Does the lid lock work okay?

Scott Wolf

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Is there a coin catcher in this drain line?

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Is there a coin catcher in this drain line?

A la Ye Olde Crap Trap Enema...

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

No, jumptrout, this is the Frigidaire top load washer with an electric drain pump.   These machines are famous for the drain hose eating socks.

Also had a few of these and the GE top load washer drain hoses get full of rubber backing from bathroom rugs.  So gross because when the rubber backing gets wet it looks like vomit.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 13 December 2012 - 11:09 PM.

Scott Wolf

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

No, jumptrout, this is the Frigidaire top load washer with an electric drain pump. 

Thanks, Scott.  I was just looking for an excuse to say, "Ye Olde Crap Trap Enema."   :blinky:

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

What ya gonna do, give the washer some Ex Lax while you're at it ? :teehee:

Scott Wolf

#8 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

remove the hose attached to the bottom of the tub, look for something blocking the hose, or something blocking the tub outlet. if it's something big, you might need to pull the spin basket out.

some of these had a "duckbill" check valve inside the drain hose, usually just downstream of the molded elbow where the hose attaches to the pump. I have used a coathanger with the end bent into a little hook to push into the hose, hook the duckbill, pull it inside out, then rip that piece of crap out with needlenose pliers.

Edited by nickfixit, 15 December 2012 - 06:56 AM.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

some of these had a "duckbill" check valve inside the drain hose, usually just downstream of the molded elbow where the hose attaches to the pump. I have used a coathanger with the end bent into a little hook to push into the hose, hook the duckbill, pull it inside out, then rip that piece of crap out with needlenose pliers.

Wisdom!  Let us attend! 

Just when I thought Frikkidaire couldn't do anything more stupid than the crap trap in the suction boot of their front loaders, they go and out do themselves with a frikkin' duckbill check valve in the drain hose!  What the hell are those numb-nutz engineers at Frikkidaire thinking?  It's like they're sabotaging their own junk.  

Domo for this valuable little pearl, Nick-- I was unaware of this checkvalve and surely would have gotten burned by this on a service call.  I think you just saved me a future call back!  

th_5793891aa4.gif

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:06 AM

Those also appear in collapse-o's (or disappear when ya service 'em)- makes the draining quite a bit louder

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,652 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Most of the newer Frigidaire's, (I don't know when they changed over), don't have the check valve in the hose any more.  The check valve has been added to the pump, (the orange flapper that is on the newer pumps).

My experience with one when I found the check valve in the hose was when I had a leaking hose and replaced it with a used one that I had, (one from a new machine without the duck bill check valve).  The pump on the machine was the original without the check valve flapper on the pump and I couldn't get it to drain correctly with the hose without a check valve and the pump without a check valve.  I changed the inlet/outlet port of the pump to one with the flapper check valve and it drained correctly.

Unless I had a weak pump, this gave me the impression it had to have the check valve in the system for it to drain correctly, (either the duck bill check valve in the hose or the flapper on the pump body).

Now from what you guys say I'm not so sure of myself on this point??????

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Well Brother Budget,if it did not work when you got there,but it did work when you left there,I would say your repaired it.

#13 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Anytime I've removed one, it pumped out much better, but it was louder once the water was out and the pump was sucking air from the tub. On the calypso, I thought it improved the drain performance and possibly make it less likely to get a clogged pump. I figured the faster water flow would help push the crap out. Anytime I'm dealing with duckbill, I remove it. For the sound issue, I show the customer how great it drains now, "it even sounds like it's pumping out stronger"

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#14 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

• If you put a new pump on an older machine, you could end up with 2 check valves...the new one in the modern pump, and the duckbill in the drain hose.

#15 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm glad my conundrum has caused this outpouring of Appliantological meditative wisdom! I will now accept your scorn and howls of laughter for installing the ...100 pump backwards. When I swapped washer pedestals (tub, pump, and motor), I was apparently not paying sufficient attention after a LLOOOONNGG day to notice the correct orientation of said pump. Not a customer's product yet (a custom rebuild), so no howls of "Oh GOD, no clean laundry." Lesson learned. Thanks guys.

Tyrus

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

#16 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

We have all had our moments, don't feel bad.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

for installing the ...100 pump backwards.

At least you were man enough to admit it! th_1927.jpg

Domo for the update.

Installation video for future reference:

#18 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

When I ran the model number and I saw the original part number for the pump, it triggered a question in my mind...  ( Did he put the pump in backwards ).... Instead of carrying P/N 134051200 and p/n 134051100, same pump but with different pump output sides.. I carry one p/n and switch the  pump out put direction ..............Plus with an up dated part number............I was going to ask the obvious, but,  You would have  thought I was challenging your repair skills.................Far from it, in  the appliance trade , I have a Master Technician rating, and still I catch myself " Did I just  route that Maytag  drain pump belt wrong , Again!!!!!!!!!!!"     ( pump mounted to motor assy )........ We learn from our mistakes................ .  

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Trick for solving no-drain problems on Frigidaire / Kenmore top-load washers

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 15 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

You'll find these Frikkidaire top loaders either as stand-alone units or as part of a stack.  If it's disguised as a Kenmore, it'll have a 417 prefix in the model number.  Okay, so you're working one of these cheesy washers and it's not draining.  You check the obvious thing: the drain pump is clear, getting 120vac and running during the drain cycle but s...

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics