Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
deezus

Kenmore Refer Mod#106.58582892 warm in top of freezer

8 posts in this topic

This unit was getting warm in top of freezer area and the cold control had to be turned up in order for it to cool. Tested cold control it passed. I notice a thin line of frost forming on center of freezer wall on evaporator cover. This didn't happen all the time. So, we replaced the adaptive defrost timer. work3d for a week now its doing the same thing. So either a bad timer again or a faulty cold control ? Even though CC tested fine? Any help would be appreciated. Also, ohmed out compressor and it tested fine. Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... thin line of frost forming on center of freezer wall on evaporator cover.

OR bad Defrost Heater or Defrost Terminator Thermostat ..

OR possibly leaky Sealed system

Evaporator frost pattern pictures may help

Evaporator has even frost pattern, Bimetal and board have been replaced, What happens is the evap fan stops running and the freezer starts getting warm. Then if you turn the CC up it comes on again. But if I test the CC it tests fine......im just wondering if a CC can have intermittent failings? Like worok sometimes and other times not and the same when you test it? As I understand it the evap fan on this model should constantly be running right?

....im just wondering if a CC can have intermittent failings?

... As I understand it the evap fan on this model should constantly be running right?

1) yes

2) both Fans should be running whenever the Compressor is running

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=2299

Ahh, so the cold control being bad turns off the compressor and the fans?

That is actually one of the more common failure modes of a cold control to be intermittent.

If you pull the old one apart after you replace it, I can pretty much guarantee that you will find the contact points look quite crispy and melted.

One good way to know this is your problem is when you find that the unit it off and starting to thaw out, don't turn or touch the control dial, just give the control area a good slap and if it starts when you do that you can be pretty much assured you have a bad cold control, (the jolt or turning it up or off/on will make the contacts connect again until it opens and tries to close on its own).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair

You might also find black dust around the cold control if it's going bad.