Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool m#wtw4850xq1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bmmc

bmmc

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

at plug in lid will lock & unlock several times.red lock light stays on.no other functions.unable to activate the service diagnostic mode after numerous attempts.power button has no effect.replaced main control board but no change.lid does lock & contacts in lid switch show good continuity when lid is locked(red & white wires)have service manual  but not much help.any ideas on what to check from here?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Check the pump and discharge tube for failure/ obstruction

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

It's a good idea to try a new door lock, we've seen them that whirlpool tech line said it needed a control, but a door lock fixed it. Also check for broken wires at the motor, capacitor, shifter, and pump. Whirlpool tech told me they are finding breaks in the red wire coil loop under the tub too.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 bmmc

bmmc

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

pump is ok,runs fine on bench & no obstructions.red coil ok,reads good continuity with meter.no broken wires any where.did not have new door lock but old one checks fine on bench & in machine.locks door closed & contacts show coninuity in closed position.don't want to get into the shotgun approach & throw parts at this thing until it is fixed.

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Check for 13 volts DC at control board J-2 between gray and black wires.

Eric

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

When I don't know how to proceed next, I look to the teachings of Sun Tzu. One of his basic principles is to "know your adversary. " That doesn't mean simply learning about him (like reading a service manual) but try to think like he thinks. So applying this principle to our situation, let's think like the washer. We know board is good so it should be thinking as a normal washer....ok.....press the start button...the machine thinks "....let's lock the door so the silly human won't put his hand in here and hurt himself......okay lock is good so let's rock and roll....hmmm nothing happening. Let's start over....unlock the door...okay lock it again and let's roll.....hmmmm no go...etc.. "

So what would cause the machine not to start up and cause locking and unlocking? .....capacitor and/or motor. If all wires are okay, I'm with Sensei Nickfixit and Sun Tsu on this one

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 December 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics