Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WTW4910XQ1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Konanthebarb

Konanthebarb

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

I just saw a post on this type washer a couple of days ago! The model was slightly different but basically the same type washer. This washer does not fill at all, it won't go into diagnostics either, I tried it several times. This is the one without the digital display. You just gotta figure out the F-code and the E-code, but nothing. The lid latch switch does lock but won't do anything else. I replaced the latch anyway thinking it could still be faulty but notta. The wires & harness on the bottom are all intact. Any clues anyone as to what could be the cause of this problem? Someone mentioned capacitor..? I haven't checked this out yet but if the cap. is bad why won't it even fill with water. Can the thermister prevent the water from entering the tub.?What are the mf-rating for this capacitor.?I think we're going to see a lot of these from now.  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

The washer first uses some short slow spins to estimate load size, it may take 2-3 minutes before any water is added. Due to many complaints, Whirlpool has updated the control unit software so that when the start button is pressed, it will immediately add water for 7 seconds so the user gets an indication that the washer is working. The shifter has an optical sensor that fits up into the bottom of the gearcase that measures rpm in spin mode. If it doesn't detect movement, the washer will stop working. The shifter is a very high failure item on these washers. The capacitor is 45 microfarads.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 17 December 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#3 Konanthebarb

Konanthebarb

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for your reply. Are the controls updated already on the new like machines that are coming out now?  This washer is about 1-1/2 years old so it's not  been updated. So the new control does not have to read movement first per the shifter, in other words, it goes straight to the solenoid valve. Is this what you are saying? Thanks again.

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I read about this recently in a Whirlpool document but I can't find that document now. I can't say for sure if it does the spin routine first or not but I assume not. The change was made due to complaints that nothing was happening when the start button was pressed. I'll try to find the document but I don't think I saved it to computer.

Eric

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

Found it, I did save it to computer. Dated April 2012. Begins with serial number date code beginning C213. Here's what it says:

Overview:

VMW Software has been enhanced to improve product performance and customer expectations of washer operation. One of the notable enhancements includes changes to the Fill Cycle.

Changes to the Fill Cycle

Once the lid is closed and the start button is pressed, seven (7) seconds of water will enter the washer, thus providing the customer with the necessary feedback that the washer has started its cycle.

If the lid is not opened, the lid will lock and the washer will continue with a voltage check and balance routine (which takes approximately 90 seconds). Next, the fill will start again and continue with the wash cycle.

Eric

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Found it ... Dated April 2012. Begins with serial number date code beginning C213. Here's what it says:

W10504063.pdf :whistling:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#7 Konanthebarb

Konanthebarb

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

Thanks guys , that is some great information. Still learning after all these years. wonderful !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics