Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore dishwasher not draining 665.17742k010

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Vic P

Vic P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Inversion IPA

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I have a Kenmore 665.17742k010 dishwasher that won't drain.  I believe it is similar to the whirlpool point voyager models.  I couldn't find a clog which i initially thought would be the problem.  When test running it I noticed that the main wash motor doesn't run during the start of the drain cycle as it is supposed to. This isn't a reversing wash pump so I am a little unclear why it runs during part of the drain cycle, but I remember hearing it run when it was working properly and the esterline chart on the tech sheet shows it activated at the beginning of the drain cycle.  It runs fine during the wash cycle but I measure 6 or 7 vac during the drain cycle.

The drain pump seems to be functioning correctly.  The drain pump motor runs and the impeller is not stuck or damaged but it still only will drain a few drops.  

At this point I am suspecting the control board but wanted to get an expert opinion before I buy an expensive part.  Is there an input to the control board that is malfunctioning and causing the problem?  I appreciate any advice  you have.  Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,396 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

When test running it I noticed that the main wash motor doesn't run during the start of the drain cycle as it is supposed to. 

The startup sequence is: run the drain pump, open the fill valve, run the wash motor.  Each subsequent cycle is an just an encore presentation of the first.  

Whether the wash motor runs or not is immaterial to the drain problem.  You may have two separate problems (probably not) but let's deal with the drain problem now since that's the one you started this topic on.  

At startup, see if the drain pump is getting voltage: remove kickplate, locate drain pump, insert meter probes into back of molex connectors, startup dishwasher, check for 120vac.  

No 120vac? possible control or wiring problem.  

120vac but drain pump doesn't run? Pump jammed, clogged drain hose, or bad drain pump.  

#3 tommytech

tommytech

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:guiness

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

did you recently replace the disposal?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

This is a portable machine - likely a hose kink or blockage

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Vic P

Vic P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'll double check for a blockage or kink and double check the drain motor thanks for the replies!

#6 Vic P

Vic P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I disconnected the drain hose and can blow through it  to the outlet.  I also removed the drain pump and checked in the housing.  It runs and the impeller is not damaged. In the pump housing, the path is clear to the drain hose and to the sump.  I checked these once before but thought it wouldn't hurt to see if I missed something.  

This unit seems to have 2 check valves, one in the drain hose and one in the sump.  The one in the sump is a rubber flapper that is maybe 1/2  inch or so in diameter.  I'm not sure what it does, but it isn't blocked.   Please let me know if you have any ideas!

#7 Vic P

Vic P

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

FIXED!!!  The esterline chart shows the main motor running for one minute at the start of the drain sequence.  The drain pump motor continues running after the main motor shuts off. Since the main motor  wasn't getting voltage when it was supposed to I jumped power to it and it drained fine.  I replaced the control board and we're back in business!  Working dishwasher=happy wife.  :dazzler:    

Part link to control board ==> http://bit.ly/S8XWoT

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 04 January 2013 - 08:26 AM.
Added part link to control board.

#8 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Happy Wife = Happy Life ..............

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics