Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
RegUS_PatOff

LG (and Kenmore) Recalls TOP Load Washers Due to Injury Hazard

10 posts in this topic

LG (and Kenmore) Recalls TOP Load Washers Due to Injury

Hazard: An unbalanced load can cause the washing machine to shake excessively and the drum to come loose during use,

posing a risk of injury to consumers and property damage to the surrounding area.

Remedy: Consumers should immediately contact LG or Sears for a free in-home repair of the machine.

Consumers will also receive supplemental information to be inserted into their owner's manual and a new caution label to be placed on the washing machine.

Consumers who have observed their recalled washing machine shaking excessively should immediately stop using it.

Consumers should be aware that loading their machines with water-proof or water-resistant items,

such as mattress pads, mattress covers and similar items, increases the chances of loads being unbalanced.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml13/13073.html

Brand Model Serial Number Range

LG

WT5001CW 002KW*******

WT5101HV through WT5101HW 111KW*******

Kenmore Elite 29002 005KW*******

29272 through 29278 111KW*******

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Any idea what the repair entails and what part(s) are modified or replaced?

in the past, it was just a software modification to the Controller ....

for balancing / slower Spin speeds

Yep authorized techs are sent ( jigs) they like to call them for changing the soft ware...haven't gotten mine yet though....

it's been awhile :beach:

Yes it has, I've missed you guys. ..hoping for a better 2013 !

I did my first software update, it was pretty easy. I had to stoop to the level of actually reading the directions that came with the tool. Easy work, all you need is the tool set and a phillips screwdriver.

And, the pictures in the directions suck, almost as bad as frigidaire does on their little projects.

i have done about 20 of them now.  The first one i did my tool was messed up.  It deleted the programing but then would not upload the new flash.  Got another tool and no problems since.

Service Tip...

If after the software update is performed---and the washer is found to be "dead" (no lights at all)...

Repeat the reflash procedure.

I did one and had an incident in which it appeared that coincidently---the MAIN BOARD had also failed during a software update procedure.

In this instance---I had unplugged the "jig" immediately after it displayed "100 percent" downloaded.

During the 2nd reflash I waited a few seconds longer---and the software version was displayed.

Failing to wait an extra 2 to 3 seconds will result in a seemingly inexplicable "dead" MAIN BOARD symptom :)

the one i had kept giving me a message that read "file fail" right after it did the deleting step but before it started counting the %, and on the toploads were updating the display boards

Edited by sh2sh2