Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Front load Washer Model LTF2940FE1 intermittent no spin

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

The owner says about 1 out of 4 loads, the washer will not do final spin. First time I went there, dug half a pound of fiber, coins, broken ID cards, etc out of large hose trap to cure an obvious slow drain. There had been no drain error code. Pump drains like a champ now. Every time I look at it, of course it spins fine.

She says there is NO error code, nothing in the display window that normally counts down time. Sometimes it will start working when she puts it into the Drain/Spin cycle, sometimes not.

I have had trouble with these before, especially with "communication error" or "serial error". I am willing to throw a new door lock at it, but have no real confidence it will help. Same goes for control board or motor board.

Any experienced thoughts?

Danny

PS- The tech sheet does not even list a spin problem.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

Service Manual is here

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

I have had problems with the pumps going intermittent on these units, especially (but not always) if they start growling or sounding gravelly.  It can be confounding and tricky to catch.  One method is to use a test cord and stress test the pump motor by repeatedly running and stopping while watching the pump impeller to make sure it turns every time.  

Educate your customer on the Prime Directive for all front loaders:  No pumpy, no spinny.  Now, with her newly-illumined eyeballs, the next time it does not spin, have her take a flashlight and peer lovingly into the drum to see if the water actually pumped out.  Better yet, have her stop the cycle and open the door to feel if there is any standing water under the clothes.  

#4 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for manual, kdog, will read it carefully. 

Also honored to hear from lucid grand master. Will check pump again. Owner says it pumps out, but noticed a couple of inches of water standing in drum- which pumped out rapidly when I tried a short cycle. Will suggest flashlight.

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

It can be confounding

Where's that Confounded Bridge ?

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Where's that Confounded Bridge ?

Dunno but I got a T-shirt for it.  Wanna see it?  Here it is...

wheres_that_confounded_bridge_t_shirts-r

#7 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

And where the heck does it go?

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

churchsignjb.jpg

funnyimage56794542.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#9 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

I am speechless!

The signs... too much! 

1. The Crunge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crunge - Cached - Similar
    Plant pays tribute to this at the end by asking "Where's that confounded bridge?" ( spoken, just as the song finishes abruptly since the song doesn't contain a ...
  2. Welcome to Confounded Bridge - Home
    confoundedbridgemusic.com/ - Cached
    Confounded Bridge plays the music of Led Zeppelin from soaring vocals to those guitar riffs we all know and love the relentless pounding of the bass and drums ...
  3. The Confounded Bridge - Home
    www.theconfoundedbridgeband.com/ - Cached
    Thanks for visiting the home of The Confounded Bridge ! Formed with our existing lineup in August of 2011, The Confounded Bridge is a 5-member band ...
  4. Confounded Bridge | Facebook
    www.facebook.com/pages/Confounded-Bridge/183711811638948 - Cached
    Confounded Bridge. 100 likes · 0 talking about this.
  5. Confounded Bridge
    confoundedbridge.net/ - Cached
    See this Go Daddy InstantPage®! http://confoundedbridge.net. Get yours free with a domain name at GoDaddy.com. Had a great time on August 4th at Dardenne ...
  6. Confounded Bridge ~ Your Time Is Gonna Come - YouTube www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcg9EJS0RESep 18, 2010 - 3 min - Uploaded by susea
    Confounded Bridge ~ Your Time Is Gonna Come ... Confounded Bridge-Hey Hey My My 3/5 ...
  7. LED ZEPPELIN LYRICS - The Crunge
    www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ledzeppelin/thecrunge.html - Similar
    I'm just trying to find the bridge... Has anybody seen the bridge? (Have you seen the bridge?) I ain't seen the bridge! (Where's that confounded bridge?) [spoken ...

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Lol - looks like we hit a nerve

What malfuntioning washer ???

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

No spin complaint...............New pump ?? or  New door lock ??     Pump or Lock ???      $ 85 clams or $ 115 clams.????..........Slow drain or flaky  switch ????......What a conundrum.......Both will cause the same problem................If the unit has a rinse /spin cycle, use that cycle and feel the pump, getting warm to warmer after a few cycles???..............Intermittent  contact of the internal switches in the door lock will cause you grief........Did this basic model the other day, customer went on line and was trying to repair the unit them selves.....They had already clean/cleared the pump coin catcher....Do not assume any thing...I still ran a rinse/ spin cycle a few times, room temp when hand is on pump...On these calls , I carry a used door lock assy...After running diagnostic and test # 7, I popped off the boot spring, pulled back boot, popped in the used lock assy , put the boot back on ( no spring needed ) and ran rinse/spin cycle.....Spun thru its speeds :thumbsup: .............I told the customer that it needed a new door lock assy and if they need to do some  of the backed up laundry, I will gladly leave my test  lock for them to use.......I can get back to my customer  by the next day or the day after that....( I get most basic parts delivered   by 1-2 p.m. the next day) ...........   They said they can wait one day..................................I strip these units down and I always take the speed board, pump, and door lock assy............It is a way to back -up / verify  your diagnostic tests........ Confounded bridge made me type all this......Dang nab it . 

#12 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

Opted for a new door lock-  $65 on this model. Became cautious of these in the wax motor days, when it was said a bad door latch could eat a control board.

Yeah, that bridge. Maybe it was built by a work gang of prisoners.

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Opted for a new door lock

And that fixed the problem?

#14 dannygr

dannygr

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Waiting for part. No bridge to the islands out here, confound it!

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Why do you guys pull the door boot back to replace the door lock?  I take the top off, unscrew the old door lock, pull it up by the wiring, take the wires out of the old door lock, insert them in the new door lock, mount the door lock by feeling it until it lines up, replace the top and I'm done.

Scott Wolf

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

Why do you guys pull the door boot back to replace the door lock?  I take the top off, unscrew the old door lock, pull it up by the wiring, take the wires out of the old door lock, insert them in the new door lock, mount the door lock by feeling it until it lines up, replace the top and I'm done.

Try that on a stack unit.  

#17 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Try that on a stack unit....... :sillytongue: ..........Actually,  you are right in front running the tests, ( probably on your knees )... and if you just remove the spring and peel back a little bit of the boot , about 8 inches worth, remove the two mounting screws, the wire harness allows the full removal of  said lock assy......... pop the boot back on and retest............. Now if you had that one that was glued on, that could be the game changer, but I carry a tube of 'crazy glue'.................

#18 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Try that on a stack unit....... :sillytongue: ..........Actually,  you are right in front running the tests, ( probably on your knees )... and if you just remove the spring and peel back a little bit of the boot , about 8 inches worth, remove the two mounting screws, the wire harness allows the full removal of  said lock assy......... pop the boot back on and retest............. Now if you had that one that was glued on, that could be the game changer, but I carry a tube of 'crazy glue'.................

Yep, this is my preferred technique, shown here:

#19 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Ok, I never thought of that.  Everytime I take a call on a front load washer I ask if the dryer is stacked on it before I even go out on the call.  These days you have to, especially now that most of the manufacturers have removed the lower access panel.  I am still begging Frigidaire and Whirlpool to bring back the lower front access panels on the front load washers so we don't have to remove the dryers just for a clogged drain pump or to replace the shock absorbers.

Scott Wolf

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

... I ask if the dryer is stacked on it

and is it installed "in a closet" ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics