Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer 110.92826101

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BPC23

BPC23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

My Kenmore gas dryer, model 110.92826101 is misbehaving.  Immediately upon pushing the start button (drum is empty), the drum begins to turn and I hear the motor centrifugal switch click.  Then, almost immediately, the motor begins to labor and drop in rpm's a little and the centrifugal switch clicks again.  Next the motor rpm's seem to return to normal and the process of motor laboring / switch clicking starts all over again.  This happens about six times within about ten seconds and then the machine stops.  This happens in both the heated and air-dry modes.  The problem is also intermittent, meaning it happens sometimes for me, but all the time for my wife.  Go figure.

Upon first inspection the inside of the machine was covered in lint.  I've since disassembled it, vacuumed everything and re-assembled, fixing where I found a gasket failure which I suspect was causing the lint build-up inside the machine.  The motor was covered in a good amount of lint.

My diagnosis is a bad motor/centrifugal switch.  Prior to investing money in a new motor, I wanted to: 1) confirm that my diagnosis is most likely correct; 2) ask if I'm overlooking any other potentially bad components causing this problem.

Thanks!

Brian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

sounds like a worn-out Motor (bearings ?)

Remove the Belt and try turning the Motor Shaft by hand.

Does it turn easily, smoothly ?

Give it a spin by hand to see if it continues to spin at all.

http://www.repaircli...asp?R=154&N=158

Drive-Motor-279787-00858787.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 12 May 2013 - 01:20 PM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

and i am guessing , you turned all the drum wheels and the belt pulley  by hand after removing the dryers drum ?

you moved all of them in and out on there shafts while turning them , looking for a frozen spot

placed a tiny drop of light oil on each wheel shaft and spun each one to set the oil , just for good measure ?

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#4 BPC23

BPC23

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

As with all things, time adds clarity.  Wifey-poo ran one more load and proclaimed the dryer "dead".  Good.  "Dead" is easier to fix than "sometimes misbehaving".

Another inspection reveals squeaky motor bearing and difficult to turn motor shaft.  Ah, clarity.  Drum wheels all turn fine.

RegUS, Cactus, thanks for your input!

Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics