Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Refrigerator FGHS2644KF0

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GreenestOne

GreenestOne

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:java

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

I need to find out how a  temperature sensor in the refrigerator compartment is rated for this model. My understanding is that it should show a 

certain amount of ohms resistance at different temperatures.

The heating element shows continuity, and the defrost thermostat also showed continuity with the freezer at 6 degrees F. I don't know the 

temperature range of the defrost thermostat when it will open, but it should have operated to activate the defrost cycle before the coils iced over

(when I checked it, it was closed). So that leaves the temperature sensor malfunctioning or the main board has gone bad.

I don't want to replace the board if it could be the temperature sensor, or the defrost thermostat is bad even though it shows continuity.

So my request is really for a chart showing resistances for the temp. sensor. As always, I'm seeking advice from those whom have gone before. Thanks.

The freezer temperature was about 6 degrees F. when I got there and the fridge compartment about 48 F. Earlier in the day

the digital readout read  -13F in the freezer and  55F in the fridge, so the owner raised the temp. in the freezer and the readout showed -2F and a  corresponding 34F.in the fridge. However, my infared gun showed +6F and 47F. 

Does this indicate a bad sensor, a bad control board, or both?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

can't rely on infrared guns .. they read the air temperature,

which would be colder if the Fan is blowing in cold Freezer air into the Fridge.

could use (2) of these

If you have a Harbor Freight Store near you,
 sometimes on sale for $ 2.99
image_1255.jpg

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

can't rely on infrared guns .. they read the air temperature,

which would be colder if the Fan is blowing in cold Freezer air into the Fridge.

Correction:  Infrared guns read the temperatures of solid surfaces, NOT air temperatures, which is precisely why they are not suited for applications where knowing air temperature is vital, such as in refrigerated spaces or oven cells.  

For getting accurate air temperature data, use a K-type thermocouple.  Can do this with either a stand-alone instrument like the Fluke 52 or some multimeters have the ability to accept a K-type thermocouple input and read it on the Vdc scale as temperature.  

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

The best way is the put a glass of water on a middle shelf and insert the K-probe into the water, it takes time but it will give the best possible temps.....At the trade school the instructor  said "  ( if owner is not around )..Put the thermometer into the pickle jar, very fast and accurate, because it has  been sitting in the refer for a while"...................depending what is going on, I have held the probe tip in the air flow right at the damper, should be at /about  0 degs and colder......... then leave the probe some where near the middle shelf and do some paper work........................

#5 GreenestOne

GreenestOne

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:java

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

How about finding if the temperarture sensor is functioning properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics