Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Gas Dryer 11087581110 Heating Issue

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 PKRWUD

PKRWUD

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

After running for 40 minutes, the flame is still lit and the exhaust temp is 124.5º F.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

... continuity, and there was none with either coil. I don't know if that means anything

no, Coil tests are inconclusive

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#23 PKRWUD

PKRWUD

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Well folks, I'm not sure how or why, but my dryer seems to be working fantastic now. After three flawless loads, even the drying time has improved. Perhaps it was a bad connection somewhere, and testing everything cleaned them up. I really don't know. But again I thank you all for your help with this!

Take care,
          ~Chris

#24 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

I hate doing a repair like this ...You basically did not do any thing ( in your case the coils ) ..............All items were checked, wire connectors remove to do voltage / continuity checks, things poked and prodded and when you are done , it works................You do not know what you fixed so you do not know what to try on the next machine you get.......... Then you gotta collect for the "repair ".........I collect just the service/diagnostic fee..............What ya gonna say..."$125 clams for doing almost nothing......I fixed it but I don't know what".......

#25 PKRWUD

PKRWUD

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Agreed. I am a retired mechanic, and owned my own business for 15 years. I've had similar results with customers before. Not very often, but they do happen.

#26 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Also, one more footnote; today I tested the old coils that I replaced for continuity, and there was none with either coil. I don't know if that means anything, but I thought I would mention it.

Put your meter on the k-ohms scale-- the normal resistance of these coils are k-ohm range.  

#27 PKRWUD

PKRWUD

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

Put your meter on the k-ohms scale-- the normal resistance of these coils are k-ohm range.  

The secondary coil measured 1.246 k ohms. The holding and boosting coil has three prongs. Measurements were 1.373 k ohms between the first two prongs, .560 k ohms between the first and third prongs, and 1.934 k ohms between the second and third prongs.

#28 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

My guess is that you had a venting issue until you disconnected it (kink/partial block etc)

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#29 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Keep in mind that the coils usually fail gradually over time. When they heat up, the windings open up, once the coil cools down, it "heals" itself and tests out fine static. My 30 some years have taught me to just replace the damn things regardless, and fageddabouit. I buy my gas coils 20 at a time for cheap money. Part no is MT SCA700-10, (fsp part no)That gives me 10 complete sets, lasting around 9 months or so. I still wouldnt rule out a flaky operating stat. They have been known to fail.

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#30 PKRWUD

PKRWUD

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Keep in mind that the coils usually fail gradually over time. When they heat up, the windings open up, once the coil cools down, it "heals" itself and tests out fine static. My 30 some years have taught me to just replace the damn things regardless, and fageddabouit. I buy my gas coils 20 at a time for cheap money. Part no is MT SCA700-10, (fsp part no)That gives me 10 complete sets, lasting around 9 months or so. I still wouldnt rule out a flaky operating stat. They have been known to fail.

Greetings,

I wanted to give you guys an update. I decided I wanted to test the coils, so what I did was hook up my DMM to the secondary coil, set to k-ohms. At room temperature (in the garage) it was 66º F, and the DMM read 1.246 k-ohms. Then I grabbed a hairdryer, set it on warm/low, and while I had my infrared thermometer pointed at the coil, turned on the dryer and watched the DMM. Sure enough, when the temp got to 78º F, the DMM read infinite resistance. When it cooled a couple of degrees, it went back to 1.246 k-ohms. This tells me that in fact that coil was bad.

Just wanted to share.

Take care,

~Chris

Gas valve coil set ==> http://www.repaircli...er=110.87581110

Gas-Valve-Solenoid-279834-00928758.jpg

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 07 January 2013 - 07:43 PM.
Added part link to gas valve coil set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics