We have a Goldstar model MV1608WW OTR microwave that is taking longer (unscientific assessment) to heat and/or reheat food. We are not married to the unit, since we paid less than a $100 for the unit a few years ago (manu 8/2004.)
Today, we followed the "How to test your Microwave topic" found in the hallowed halls of this website. My wife followed the procedure, with the help of some of my test equipment:
1. One liter of water in a Pyrex brand measuring cup.
2. Placed water and cup on counter over night.
3. Water temperature was measured, 61 degrees Fahrenheit my old Fluke 787 with temperature probe.
4. Place cup with water on turntable, and set time to 2:03 at highest power setting.
5. Removed cup and water from microwave and measured water temperature with same test equipment: 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does this information give anyone enough information to assess this unit's performance?
I don't believe in junking something if it can be repaired, but it may be cost effective to replace. THe Samurai's recommended Brands List doesn't call out microwave units in particular. Are there brands to consider and others to run away from?
Thanks to all who post....Merry Christmas.