Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Mircowave losing some of it's punch?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:......coffee, any coffee.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:47 AM

We have a Goldstar model MV1608WW OTR microwave that is taking longer (unscientific assessment) to heat and/or reheat food.  We are not married to the unit, since we paid less than a $100 for the unit a few years ago (manu 8/2004.)

Today, we followed the "How to test your Microwave topic" found in the hallowed halls of this website.  My wife followed the procedure, with the help of some of my test equipment:

1.  One liter of water in a Pyrex brand measuring cup.

2.  Placed water and cup on counter over night.

3.  Water temperature was measured, 61 degrees Fahrenheit my old Fluke 787  with temperature probe.

4.  Place cup with water on turntable, and set time to 2:03 at highest power setting.

5.  Removed cup and water from microwave and measured water temperature with same test equipment: 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does this information give anyone enough information to assess this unit's performance?

I don't believe in junking something if it can be repaired, but it may be cost effective to replace.  THe Samurai's recommended Brands List doesn't call out microwave units in particular.  Are there brands to consider and others to run away from?

Thanks to all who post....Merry Christmas.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

The only part that can change in such a way that would affect the power output is the magnetron.  The other parts would simply fail and stop heating altogether.  

Magnetron ==> http://www.repaircli...Number=MV1608WW

Magnetron-2B71165R-01014754.jpg

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Stay away from almost all brands  of microwave ovens except Whirlpool and Maytag.

I know they are all made by foreign companies anyway, but being able to get replacement parts at a local supply house is why I recommend sticking with Whirlpool and Maytag.

I think the way we do business in the USA is so azz backwards!  Microwave cooking was discovered by accident in Raytheon's lab in the USA.  Amana built the first microwave oven for commercial institutions such as restaurants in the USA.  Tappan built the first microwave oven for household use in the USA, that now is displayed in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C. in the USA.  Now that the USA manufacturers have discovered that China, Japan and Korea can manufacture the microwave ovens cheaper and they can pay the foreign manufacturers to just slap their names on the units, not a single microwave oven is made in the USA. Pretty sad that most of the profits and good paying manufacturing jobs were taken away from the USA. Pretty sad!

Scott Wolf

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Stay away from almost all brands  of microwave ovens except Whirlpool and Maytag.

and Jenn Air

although some are made by Samsung

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

A hot magntron will loose power

make sure cooling fan is working

remove cover and any plastic around the magntron until you can see the cooling fins , look for dust or dirt and clean with compressed air

the magntron must be kept cool for it to work at full power

be careful spending money on a weak microwave , i have replaced magntrons in microwaves for this reason and still have a weak microwave when i was done

I have a like new Amana convection microwave at my shop , i have replaced everything and it's still weak . i am into this $75.00 in parts 2 years ago , just can't bring myself to toss it out , someday i think i will find the magic bullet and fix it , so far no can do .............don't be me

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Goldstar model MV1608WW

Goldstar model MV1608WW = 1000w

my Maytag / Jenn Air (made by Samsung)
950w
(1) liter tap water 62F
total time
2:00 minutes = 92F
4:00 minutes = 122F
6:00 minutes = 148F

#7 jmatthew

jmatthew

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:......coffee, any coffee.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thank to all who posted.  General comments & information:

The microwave does work, so we (my wife) are going by past experience when judging the heating time.  I prefer to be more accurate than a parts-swapping monkey with anything I crack the case open to work on.  If it continues to take longer to heat food, we will have to make a dceision on whether to spend about 65% of the orginal purchase price on a repair.

• I have used RepairClinic.com for parts in the past - it has always been a good experience.
  • As soon as I have some help removing the microwave from the wall, I'll check out the cooling fan - good tip. 
  • The USA is still where the vision is.... I agree is it unfortunate that USA companies do not hold the entire process on our soil.  But, if the average 'person-on-the-street' only purchases products based upon lowest price OR cannot afford to spend what little money they have on American-made products that may cost more - little will change.  It starts with us.

FInally here is our results using the same method Sensei used:

1000w

Goldstar (LG)

Total Time

liter tap water=61.6F

2:00 minutes=97F

4:00 minutes=131F

6:00 minutes=153.5F

I wish all a happy, healthy and prosperous 2013.

JMatthew

Ikkō-ikki

Edited by jmatthew, 29 December 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

FInally here is our results using the same method Sensei used:

looks like it's working fine ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics