Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Finished with KitchenAid

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 suemarian

suemarian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

I need recommendations on dishwasher brands that are more easily repairable if not totally dependable. My replacement KA DW is now acting up after 2 yrs of ok performance. I don't want to repair because it is exhibiting the same problems as my previous one which was melted wires in the electonics-among other issues. Sad situation - have always used KA and never had so many problems. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance. Would love to get at least 5 years of use from a DW.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

... KA DW is now acting up after 2 yrs of ok performance

model number ?

was is actually made by KA ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 suemarian

suemarian

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

yes it's model number KUDS40CVSS4 and it started to emitt a burning plastic smell - I really need to go with another brand - long story re previous problems.

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

There aren't any dishwashers on the market today that have a better repair record than a KitchenAid.

If you want a better dishwasher, wash them by hand.

Do you use the high temperature wash, the sani cycle or heated dry cycles?  The smell could be the  plastic items inside the dishwasher getting too close to the heater element,  loose wire nuts in the junction box where the dishwasher wiring connects with the house wiring, or an electrical problem with your house wiring.

Also, Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid and Maytag is the only manufacturer now to have a safety thermal cutout in the control board to prevent the wiring and the control board from melting or catching on fire. The other brands don't. 

Scott Wolf

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:04 AM

Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid and Maytag is the only manufacturer now to have a safety thermal cutout in the control board to prevent the wiring and the control board from melting or catching on fire.

Still wondering why I see burnt boards with the thermal fuse intact, covered in soot...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Still wondering why I see burnt boards with the thermal fuse intact, covered in soot...

Hmmm, good question....

gallery_4_65_1030398.jpg

gallery_4_65_2905244.jpg

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I dunno why either, but the point I was making is these burnt control boards happen to ALL brands, not just the Kitchen Aids, Maytags and Whirlpools. 

If customers want a better dishwasher they should buy  the el cheapo bottom of the line Whirlpool dishwasher made specifically for apartment buildings that just have a mechanical timer with 1 cycle and a toggle switch for the heated dry.  

It's the customers that have to complain to the manufacturers about these high tech all electronic control appliances with all the features they will never use going bad after a couple years.  They need to tell them to go back to simple and functional appliances and stop putting looks and features before functionality and dependability!

Scott Wolf

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I dunno why either, but the point I was making is these burnt control boards happen to ALL brands, not just the Kitchen Aids, Maytags and Whirlpools. 

Okay, forgive a dottery old Samurai, but it sounded like you were saying that, due to the thermal cutout, burnt control boards are prevented in the Whirlpool-Kitchenaid dishwashers.  But then I have been accused of reading weird meanings into other people's words...

Also, Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid and Maytag is the only manufacturer now to have a safety thermal cutout in the control board to prevent the wiring and the control board from melting or catching on fire. The other brands don't. 

#9 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

If customers want a better dishwasher they should buy  the el cheapo bottom of the line Whirlpool dishwasher made specifically for apartment buildings that just have a mechanical timer with 1 cycle and a toggle switch for the heated dry.  

It's the customers that have to complain to the manufacturers about these high tech all electronic control appliances with all the features they will never use going bad after a couple years.  They need to tell them to go back to simple and functional appliances and stop putting looks and features before functionality and dependability!

I see it all over too

i get the same questions too , why ,why ,why

i tell people over and over , buy simple , by simple , by simple

two years later , i am back to the same house to repair the replacement , i give you one guess what they bought !

well it's sure not simple

i want to ask , " why did you ask me what to buy if you had no plan to listen to me?"

i just want to walk out

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#10 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

i want to ask , " why did you ask me what to buy if you had no plan to listen to me?"

Samurai has said exactly the same thing. I never even recommend cleaners any more, they won't listen. I just shrug. "All the same."

First, do no harm.

#11 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Why don't manufacturer's have it stamped, printed, or painted somewhere, "We don't make them like we used to!!"  I find myself saying that, except using they instead of we, to a lot of people.

#12 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hmmm, good question....

gallery_4_65_1030398.jpg

gallery_4_65_2905244.jpg

I think where this control board is burnt is the incoming line voltage from the house.  Supposed to be 120 volts, but it could have been higher than that due to a power surge from the electric company.  i wonder if reverse polarity would do it too?

Everytime I install a new dishwasher and their is a regular electrical outlet under the sink, I install a power cord to the dishwasher rather than hooking it up directly to an unkown Romex that the old one was hooked up too.

Scott Wolf

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think where this control board is burnt is the incoming line voltage from the house. Supposed to be 120 volts, but it could have been higher than that due to a power surge from the electric company.

Nyet, tovarish. In this case, the cause was a loose connection on the power harness connector on the board:

gallery_4_65_4239595.jpg

#14 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

All on account of the big insulation blanket that wraps around the lower part of D/W to keep all that stem and heat in close - a veritable "Dutch Oven"

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#15 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

<<<Also, Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid and Maytag is the only manufacturer now to have a safety thermal cutout in the control board to prevent the wiring and the control board from melting or catching on fire. The other brands don't.>>> 

<<<but the point I was making is these burnt control boards happen to ALL brands, not just the Kitchen Aids, Maytags and Whirlpools>>>

Hmmm, indeed.

I thought I'd try a different/hypothetical approach to verify logic...

1) Also, FORD,LINCOLN and MERCURY is the only manufacturer now to have  ANTI-LOCK BRAKES to prevent LOSS OF CONTROL and ACCIDENTS. The other brands don't. 

2) but the point I was making is these ACCIDENTS happen to ALL brands, not just the FORD,LINCOLN and MERCURYS.

Conclusion: Jay Carney's job is in jeopardy...

Edited by john63, 30 December 2012 - 01:05 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

No comment, but it seems you always try to get the last word in everytime I post something. LOL

Scott Wolf

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,442 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

word 

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

word 

Haha, It took me a minute, but I got it, you got the last word in.    I just had a blond moment. :tongue:

Scott Wolf

#19 telefunkenu47

telefunkenu47

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

I recomend the high end Bosch. Possibly the only honest dishwasher on the market. Yes, the boards do fail eventually with the 11 amp heater relay. But, please consider that the gubmint has mandated lower wattage motors, not allowed to use water, phosphates or electricity apparently. The only thing left is time folks!Now you run that 11 amp heater relay for an extended amount of time over the course of several years and  it is going to melt the relay joint eventually. I suppuse they could mount the relay under the machine somewhere, but that was tried already back in the 70"s. Bad idea! At least the board is reasonably priced, the heater is self contained under the tub where it will actually heat the water rather than produce super saturated steam, thus necessitating the addition of a thermal fuse workaround. Talk about a polished turd!. Never seen a collapsed bubble on the touchboard of a Bosch because there isnt one! Oh yeah, and here's a real innovation, an on/off switch! When is the last time you replaced a Bosch maninboard from a power surge when it wasnt being used? Yup, say what you will, I think the Bosch DW is the best product out there for any amount of money. I feel better now!

Even root canal is easy...if you're a dentist...

#20 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

If only they made the wash pump and motor and the door springs easier to access.  I do not like the idea that replacement of  the main board on the higher end units requires removing the dishwasher from under the counter.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 31 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

Scott Wolf

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Appliance Service Call Customer Relations Advice for Professional Appliantologists

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 03 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Our eloquent and lyrical Brother in the Craft, DurhamAppliance , offers some sage pearls of wisdom for us Professional Appliantologists when dealing with a customer who has negative (and often strong) opinions about appliance brands:Source: Finished with KitchenAid

Read Full Entry →

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics