Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

KitchenAid KUDE60HXSS0 won't drain

Dishwasher

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

I hope all had a wonderful Christmas.

The Dishwasher stopped pumping Christmas Eve. I check the easy things. Kinks in line. drain hose plugged and all were fine. I do not drain into a disposal as I am on a septic tank and don't have that. The drain runs through the floor into the drain lines. It has it's own trap and all. All are clear. I searched for any things to check but don't seem to find this model. I do see a pump replacement and maybe it has just gone bad after two years.

It washes fine and everything seems in working order. Selecting the Cancel/Drain does not work and I don't hear the motor at all.

Not sure where to go other than buy a motor and replace. Does something else fail on these units?

Thanks

Ace...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I noticed an odd smell coming in and checked the dishwasher thinking plastic melted or something. Nothing odd in the tub except I noticed the water had not drained and the unit had finished it's cycle.  I will pull the over off and see if any of the boards are burned.

I hope this isn't going the way of my old Maytag Neptune. I fixed it once and after it ran for a few more years had to junk it.

Ace...

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:23 AM

check for voltage at the Drain Pump

http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1454683

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Reg

I have a meter. I assume I can turn on cancel drain and measure? Would you be able to tell me the terminals to check please?

Thanks for the fast reply.

Ace...

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

the (2) Brown wires going into the Pump (while connected)

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

the (2) Brown wires going into the Pump (while connected)

Thanks Reg. will give it a shot.

Ace...

#7 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

Anytime I have a dishwasher with a drainage problem I want to look at the drain hose and make sure it's highest point is lower than where it will eventually drain to.  That's one of the most common problems I see.

Before I take the machine apart too far, I also like to detach the drain hose from its drain point, put it in a bucket and turn on the drain cycle.  For instance, if you see a steady trickle of water, and that water is greasy, you probably have a drain blockage.  If you hear a hum and see no water at all, you may very well have a seized drain pump.  I have succeeded more than once in getting a unit back into service by running a long length of 1/4 plastic water line up the drain hose and loosening the blockage.

#8 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

That's a great idea Dan

Thanks for all the information. With holiday company I haven't pulled out the dishwasher for obvious reasons. ;-)

With that said, I manually drained the washer, pulled of the front panel and selected the drain button. I could feel the pump "hum" so it is getting power. Then I started to smell a strong odor. Not burning but strong plastic odor not and electrical wire burning. I felt the metal fins and they were very hot. This is the strong odor from a week ago.

My dishwasher drains into the plumbing through the floor into the basement so it already has gravity on it side and doesn't pump up. I removed it from its connection and water drained on its own but not the unit.

I am a good plug and play guy but diagnosing what is causing this is not my forte. I am comfortable pulling out the unit and replacing a pump. I's just one of those deals where do you replace that part and it's really something else. Logically it's that pump.

I saw where repair clinic that Reg recommended sells the pump but out of stock for a bit. Maybe this is a common failure. Drain Pump W10158351

#9 Ace Barker

Ace Barker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I meant to update on the repair of the dishwasher. I bought a new pump, pulled the dishwasher out and remove the pump the week after Christmas. I found piece of glass had lodged in the impeller and housing. I removed and saved he old pump and replaced with the new. I felt the old pump would still work but may not last as I did smell a plastic/electrical odor. Anyway the washer is back running and all is well.

Thanks

Ace...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics