Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Useful Thingamabobs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Let's say you ate an extra biscuit for lunch and you can't fit behind a range in order to work on it or test it from the back while it is still plugged in.......make yourself this useful thingamabob (actually a range extension cord but we all know for safety reasons there is no such thing)

20121227_125812.jpg

just get an old range plug and wire it to a surface mount 50 amp range receptacle. Make a 3 and a 4 prong version for both range and dryer. No more sliding the appliance back and forth to test and work on it. But ya gotta keep your wits about you or............let me put it this way.....can I have your toolbag?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 December 2012 - 12:56 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I've been thinking about making something like this -- only having the extra power cord attached to a terminal block for easier reading of the outlet voltages. I was trying to verify a loose neutral while holding the two leads in the outlet, while having the meter facing me so I could read it, and holding a flashlight in place in the tight space where the outlet was located.

Also considering making a dishwasher extension kit: an extra length of fill hose with adapters, power cord, etc... so that I can run the dishwasher out of the hole to look for leaks, take voltages and such on these units like Samsung/LG/Electrolux/Bosh where you can't reach or see a damn thing with the unit in place...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I've been thinking about making something like this -- only having the extra power cord attached to a terminal block for easier reading of the outlet voltages. I was trying to verify a loose neutral while holding the two leads in the outlet, ...

That was also one of the reasons for making them....but for checking voltages I now use

Standalone_1175X1290.jpg

They ain't cheap but worth every penny. http://www.repaircli...4396932/1176379
Props to the Samurai for turning me on to them... http://appliantology...nce-gift-ideas/

Although useful, they are not homemade so cannot receive the coveted title of "Useful Thingamabob"

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 December 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

1357524144619.jpg

So you have some extra meter leads after buying the new fluke twistguard meter leads?

A few minutes making this useful meter lead thingamabob is time well spent. Cut the compressor pin connectors off of a dead 3 in 1 start relay and connect it to those extra leads with the probes cut off (don't discard the probes) . Make one more of these wires to complete a set of 3 . Now you have easily attached solid connections for ohm testing, much easier than alligator cilps. Connect them to the compressor pins in the same manner you would a 3 in 1 then simply connect whatever two of the three leads to the meter you want to test. And testing and re-testing can be done while standing up. I painted a red lead white to match the white wire cut from the 3 in 1. Simple yet useful, unless you are the Samurai and have all sorts of magical tools and weapons such as a compressor analyzer.

Btw connect two of the removed probes together and you have a nice jumper to use on whirlpool modular icemakers. Waste not want not.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Not that I would EVER do such a thing, but is it POSSIBLE to do the same thing with a 4 pronged dryer chord and an outlet box? I'm working on a dryer (or trying to) where the power chord is INCHES away from the outlet and I have it as close as I can get it........... I looked online but I don't see an extension chord for these.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Not that I would EVER do such a thing, but is it POSSIBLE to do the same thing with a 4 pronged dryer chord and an outlet box? 

Not sure if I understand your question... if you are asking if can you make one for a 4 pronged dryer...yes. I use one all the time. If you are asking about using it as a permanent extension....all I can say is it will work but you would be violating all kinds of electrical codes. 

#7 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Free

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Thanks Durhan. I meant just as a temporary to reach whee I need to go to test this one I'm working on.

I got the regular 6 foot dryer cord and a flush mount box. Tomorrow I'll test.

#8 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

if you take that same dryer cord and grind off the 90 degree bend on the neutral its also a range extension cord then too  :)

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#9 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet coke

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Great minds think a-like,  I had to make a long cord, I could attach to the appliance, and then switch out the plug ins, Used a heavy 6-3 so cord.  I have a four lead plug , a three lead three straight, and the three lead with one ninety, (L) that I can wire nut to the end. 

I have some comercial accounts that have lots of other appliances infront of there one and only 220 outlet.  One has the three straight outlet the other has a 4 wire outlet  I'm not going to move their entire inventory around in the stock room or shop to plug in their 3 foot cord.

As you say FOR TEST PURPOSE only.. 

Worked great for me at a motel, and customer wanted me to fix or look at another dryer, but only had the one outlet. 

I use what you have made in the post above but I put a 4 plug in on a three L box. 

My incoming box in shop (one and only) is a four, now I can test at least a customers dryer in shop with a three wire with  L with out R & R the leads.

#10 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

Using that nifty tester of the outlet,  I'm a guessing you find lots of open grounds,, is that right??  Which won't prevent the unit from running but does mean trouble for anyone touching the unit should it short to chassie, or frame.

I have read several safety incident reports that resulted in the death of a person, even child, due to IMPROPER grounding of a device or even a facility.  A three year old with open toe sandles went in a doorway where 480 vac was shorted to the building, but there was no ground.  She just happened to become the path of least resistance, became a better ground to the ground and it killed her.  Remember that the next time you think about cutting off that extra round thing on the cord.

#11 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

I usually find an open neutral and most dryers/stoves will not function properly. Typically timers and motors need 120v and if the neutral is open, you only get 240vac. I've had to have long discussions with electricians who tell customers there is nothing wrong with the outlet since the dryer is getting 240vac.

Also on at least 4 occasions I've had outlets where the outlet did not make good contact with the plug prongs. Hard to tell with a meter but if you put a tester in the outlet and shake it, you will see one of the lights turn off. I've embarrassed several electricians, smug with their high end fluke meters, who swore I didn't know what I was talking about until I return to the site and show the electrician how the connection fails by shaking the tester. The response has always the same "oh, okay.... i need to get one of those." Talk about priceless moments.

#12 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

That is a great selling benefit, ad presentation for this product.  I use to chase what I would call grimlings, it was there a minute ago but now it's gone.  Some tech might come up behind me and say dude you ain't got 480 here,  Well it was there a minute ago, on exactly what you said , my 600.00 dollar process Fluke meter.   Maybe this plug device is worth it more than I first thought.  I'll have to give it a diffrent name though,, I think I'll call it the shake and bake.. Shake it to make sure the luggs on the terminal in side aint Baked.  lol

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:51 AM

It is also a great visual tool to easily show a customer the problem. They may not understand voltage readings but they understand "one of those lights did not come on."

#14 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Went by Lowe's and wouldn't you know it,lots of handy tool sets for Christmas!Got a Kobalt set with a 1/4 x 5/16 ratchet and several bits for less than 10 bucks.Also a nifty pry bar that also is like a spanner wrench and can loosen 1/4 5/16 3/8 &1/2 inch nuts.I can see many uses for this and less than $2. I love this time of year!

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:10 PM

Man I love this time of year when Lowes and Home Depot set  up their Christmas aisles....brings cheer and good will to my heart.

#16 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,899 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sears too. I got 3/8 ratchet set for $9.99. Wish I could buy new tool everyday. It's a rush! Lol

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#17 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Walmart, last night in automotive, had a inspection camera, with 3 foot whip, 60.00.  I have been thinking you could stick it down beside dryer drum and watch belts and pullies,   Lol lol.. pull the water line out of hole insert camera and see if the light actually goes off in freezer.  Can watch people around the corner.

#18 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,899 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

You could also check dryer vents for blockages. Actually show the customer that their exhaust vent needs cleaned. $$$$$

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#19 curjones

curjones

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

Most useful thingambob for me thus far that I have purchased has been the subscription to this site, bar none it has paid me well and served me in great times of need.

#20 wishfultech

wishfultech

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'm with you on that. Glad I found this site and look forward to learning a lot .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics