Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire Affinity Washer FAFW3517KR1 spin problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

Okay, new door switch but washer spinning sluggishly  Sometimes spins at full speed under load but always spins normally when it is empty.   Pump is fine, steady stream of water discharge and there are no obstructions. Used our test door switch and it does the same thing as the new one so door switch problem is ruled out.  No error codes. The belt does not appear to be slipping. Sometimes with only a towel in it, it will get up to speed but only when there is one minute left on the timer and doesn't spin long enough. Take the towel out, and it works perfectly.   Luckily, customer brought this thing to our shop but is has started to  consume lots of time. If repairclinic had a board in stock we would replace it just to see what happens. Other than that, any suggestions?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Bad drum bearings will bind the drum and make it do weird things under dynamic conditions (geek-speak for "spinning").  Check 'em out:

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

Bad drum bearings will bind the drum and make it do weird things under dynamic conditions (geek-speak for "spinning").  Check 'em out:

Unfortunately, that was one of the first things we checked. New development, tonight we could not put it in test mode....looking more and more like a board problem.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:37 AM

If the control board will not go into test mode, then it is bad right off the bat.

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

If the control board will not go into test mode, then it is bad right off the bat.

I suppose this would also be true with just about any board?

Test

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

I suppose this would also be true with just about any board?

. It is probably true here but I'm not sure if it is true across the board (pun intended). .... http://appliantology...03600/?p=245055

That's one of the reasons I always advise check your thermistors although I may seem to be...

beatdedhorse.gif

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 December 2012 - 07:44 AM.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,801 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

. It is probably true here but I'm not sure if it is true across the board (pun intended). .... http://appliantology...03600/?p=245055

That's one of the reasons I always advise check your thermistors although I may seem to be...

beatdedhorse.gif

Good pernt, Brother Durham.  Only thing that bothers me about the resolution in that topic you linked to was why the thermistor would have caused the board to not go into diagnostic mode.  Only thing I can think of is that the thermistor was shorted and loading down the board.  Do you recall what the failure mode of thermistor was in that case?  

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:47 PM

Good pernt, Brother Durham. Do you recall what the failure mode of thermistor was in that case?

No, I don't remember. Should have been more diligent in fleshing out my theory. This was the second time it happened to me. The first time and birth of my theory was about a year ago with a GE fridge GSS25WGPAWW. Could not get it in test mode to check themistors. Tested them manually and replaced bad ff thermistor. Solved problem and I was able to get in test mode. Next time I will record thermistor ohms as well as volts. Never delved into volt checking of thermistors at the board as I saw no need. Could be something to look at with regards to load.

As I ponder your question a bit more, it is possible those boards were becoming bad in that they could not handle any load issue created by a failed thermistor. I did create one of those shunt load testers for GE mainboards but have rarely used it. Would have been useful to know the results if I had used it.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 December 2012 - 05:48 PM.

#9 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

For what it's worth, I always have a crazy hard time getting E-lux laundry machines into self-test.  The procedure their engineers program in is further proof that Elux/Frigidaire will only hire engineers who hate field technicians with a passion. 

I have had a lot of front loaders that were fine machines but installed incorrectly.  What's the flooring like under this beast?  Is it on a pedestal?  

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,073 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

Yeah its on a pedestal. We changed board and now everything seems fine other than the extremely brittle faceplate covering the interface/board and dispenser. Got to glue it back together. What a piece of crap.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 01 January 2013 - 01:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics