Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag LAT2600AAE -- off-balance in spin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Had a customer call in on this, complaint was off-balance and walking during spin.

Examined unit. Belts are good, no sign of wear or fraying, no black powder under cabinet.  Took off front plate, filled with water, put it into spin.  Some vibration.  Unit is bubble-level all around the frame.  Glass of water on top of adjacent dryer shows some motion but nothing that would really show me a bad subfloor. 

Did notice I could put two fingers on the outer tub and push it all over the cabinet, similar to a direct-drive with bad springs. 

Called tech line and was advised to replace the snubber. I had not heard of one before, so I looked up a thread and found this part number: 

http://www.repaircli...Number=21001893

Three questions:

1)  Having not done one of these before, what's a logical time frame for me to expect to complete this?  

2)  Does anyone have a part number for that special spring removal tool?  I saw one once, no one in my current shop has one, and the RepairClinic link says that the tool is no longer available from the manufacturer.

3)  Anything I should be looking at before I buy what techline is selling and replace the snubber? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,064 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

You probably just need the damper pads ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=LAT2600AAE

Tub-Wear-Pad-203956-00625222.jpg

Angel explains how to replace 'em:

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

From what I can see of the instructions that does not require removing the tub and basket, is that correct?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

That is correct, but you will need to remove the brake package still - the snubber base like you posted previously is for a totally different machine - yours is a dependable care

You can usually get the brake off without the tool by tapping the circumference while praying.

Come hither and share in Big Birds journey: http://appliantology...her-lat8234aae/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

To replace the damper pads, follow the instructions on page 3-48 of the above linked manual. The only special tool I use is one or two single gang electrical boxes to hold the springs open.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-4dV7smb-HBQ1DSQvoil

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

I've never removed the brake package to replace the damper pads.  I forget what I used to do, but it was a shortcut I learned from when I worked for Maytag Factory Service. I think I unbolted the suspension springs from the base and used blocks of wood to lift up and hold the outer tub assy away from the base.

Scott Wolf

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

What Scottthewolf says is correct.

With the suspension springs removed and a block under the main pulley, (I believe you also must unbolt the top so the complete wash assembly will have enough room to move up), you should be able to have enough clearance to scrap the old pads off and re-glue the new ones in.

Definitely no need to remove the brake package for this job.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Thanks!  That video is fantastic.

#9 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

To finish up this topic: replaced damper pads as suggested.  Customer called back; machine was still off balance in spin.  

Took the front panel off; the suspension springs were at my mark but were still movable to a light touch with a thumb.  Gave each spring about 15 quarter turns on the nut until stiff to the touch.  Put a load of laundry, put into spin.  Normal vibration.  Called the customer into the room, he agreed this was the performance he was used to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics