Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
ngravina

GE Monogram Microwave Turntable and fan wont turn off

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have a customer with a GE Monogram beast of a microwave oven that the turntable and fan will not turn off.  The unit heats food and everything thing seems to work great.  But when you are done heating the food, the turntable and fan continue to run.  I have checked all the door switches and interlock switches.  They seem to be in working order.

I am leaning towards a control board problem but this thing has 3 different boards in it.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Model # ZSC2001FSS

Thanks,

Nick

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Thanks, I agree.  Thanks so much for your help.  I'm gonna go for a new board.

Hi all, I replaced the board on this microwave and no luck. The fan and turntable are still running at all times. Any other thoughts about what might be going on? Any help is greatly appreciated? Thanks, Nick

Yeah, I am really baffled on this one. Im gonna double check the door interlock switches again and try to find a door switch relay that the manual talks about. I might be in over my head on this one. Thanks for your help.

Well, update here on this issue.  I was so stumped by this thing that I decided to call GE and they sent out a servicer to take a look.  The repair guy showed up, I told him about the problem, plugged it in, and guess what?  The problem wasn't there anymore.  I must have reconnected a loose wire or something with all the fiddling I did with this thing.  But the problem is now gone.  Turntable and fan no longer constantly run.

The GE guy did state that really the only 3 things that could cause this problem are...

Faulty door switches, Bad main board, or a short or broken wire somewhere.

Hope that helps for any of you looking for a solution in the future.

Nick

Well, the problem is back once again. It seems to have a short somewhere, I have figured out that if I disconnect the the green ground wire when wiring the power cord the microwave works fine.  If I connect the green ground wire, the problem returns and the fan and turntable continuously run.  

The weird thing is, that with the green wire disconnected, the microwave runs perfectly. I am once again stumped.

...  If I connect the green ground wire, the problem returns and the fan and turntable continuously run.

has this M/W worked OK up till now at this location ?

Check the polarity of the Wall Outlet

and check for any voltage from Ground to Neutral ...

Otherwise, you have a short to chassis (ground) on one of the Blue wires of the TurnTable / Fan Motor

OR inside one of those Motors (try disconnecting one Motor at a time)

Ok, so I unplug the fan and the turntable keeps running.  But I unplug the turntable, and the fan shuts off.  Does that mean I have a faulty turntable motor?

I have a reading of 1.7 ohms on the turntable fan motor and schematic says it should be 2.1.  I touch red probe of meter to one prong of motor and black probe to housing of the turntable motor and I get a beep.  If I do the same with the other prong of the motor there is no beep.  Thoughts?  

I'm wondering how you tested the door switches. Are the switches all activated properly when closing the door? Testing each cherry switch by pushing on the nub verifies only the switch operation. There could be a problem in the latch board or the door.

... Otherwise, you have a short to chassis (ground) on one of the Blue wires of the TurnTable / Fan Motor

OR inside one of those Motors (try disconnecting one Motor at a time)

Ok, so I unplug the fan and the turntable keeps running.  But I unplug the turntable, and the fan shuts off.  

Does that mean I have a faulty turntable motor?

ding, ding, ding

I have a reading of 1.7 ohms on the turntable fan motor and schematic says it should be 2.1.  

I touch red probe of meter to one prong of motor and black probe to housing of the turntable motor and I get a beep.

If I do the same with the other prong of the motor there is no beep.  Thoughts?  

see previous answer ...

The "beep" test isn't always conclusive ...

there should be infinite OHMs between the Motor Housing and each Motor Lead.

GE WB26X10073

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=875153

Turntable-Motor-WB26X10073-00709931.jpg

LG 6549W1S008A

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1352879

Stirrer-Motor-6549W1S008A--01185938.jpg

yup,

motor shorted to ground, intermittant.