Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Bottom Freezer-Model#GDL20KCSBS, Defrost System Fix?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Root Beer

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

This GE Bottom Freezer was not cooling in the fresh food section. When I arrived the compressor, evap fan, condenser fan was all running strong. The evaporator was froze over, so I defrosted it and the heater checked out fine, so I put a new limit on and a new thermister, put it all back together and plugged it back in, and nothing worked but the lights.  Here are some of my many questions:

1. I was told at one time to always change out the old style thermisters with the black end where the wires go in, is this true because I did put a new thermister on this one.?

2. The defrost limit that I replaced had the symetrical clip that was installed on one of the support fins for the evaporator.  I replaced the original with a limit that had the same L140-30F markings as the original, but had the clip that goes on the evaporator direct, so I did that, is that acceptable? or do I need to order the same one and install it on the support fin?

3. How do you get the control panel off the top of the fresh food section? I removed the light cover and two screws, then broke one of three plastic studs and then put the screws back in and left it.  What hold that all on and how do you get it removed.

4. When i couldnt get the unit started back up I cleaned up my tools and made a trip to the truck, 20 minutes after I plugged it in the compressor sounded like it was running but nothing else.  does it normally take this long to get the unit started again after defrosting?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

Might someone have the service manual? thanks in advance.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Minimanual uploaded here ==> http://appliantology...anual-31-51651/

1. I was told at one time to always change out the old style thermisters with the black end where the wires go in, is this true because I did put a new thermister on this one.?

Yes, replace ALL old thermistors with the new ones.

2. The defrost limit that I replaced had the symetrical clip that was installed on one of the support fins for the evaporator.  I replaced the original with a limit that had the same L140-30F markings as the original, but had the clip that goes on the evaporator direct, so I did that, is that acceptable? or do I need to order the same one and install it on the support fin?

Will probably be fine. I've made many similar substitutions with no call-backs.

3. How do you get the control panel off the top of the fresh food section? I removed the light cover and two screws, then broke one of three plastic studs and then put the screws back in and left it.  What hold that all on and how do you get it removed.

Did you slide the control assembly forward and then out? They can feel stuck from the urethane foam insulation in the cabinet.

4. When i couldnt get the unit started back up I cleaned up my tools and made a trip to the truck, 20 minutes after I plugged it in the compressor sounded like it was running but nothing else.  does it normally take this long to get the unit started again after defrosting?

Try putting the muthaboard into forced defrost and see if the heating element fires up ==> http://fixitnow.com/...-the-quick-fix/

#4 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

So let me get this straight, while the refrigerator is plugged in and the evaporator is cold clip a wire from the 'Line' terminal to the 'Defr' terminal in the photo? The reason I'm scared is because I fried a board by messing around with a power cord/jumper and what not.  I was very tramatized.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Question 1.....yes.. this is a recommendation from GE but under the circumstances, testingt he original thermistor would help rule out it as the cause

Question 2...not a problem....again testing it before replacement would help your diagnosis

If your were able to rule out heater, sensor and limit, then you would know if a new board is needed. Schematics on this model is sketchy but the board should be located on the back of the fridge. It may not be necessary to access controls in ff section. If the compressor is running, your fans should be running. This should not be a user interface issue.

You may have to hold down the light switch to hear fan running with freezer drawer open. Double check your connections and test fans at the board.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

Just use an insulated alligator clip jumper wire when you do the defrost test and you'll be fine. You may see a little spark when you connect the second clip but that's normal. Just keep a steady hand. No worries.

#7 AlexM

AlexM

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Sounds shockingly easy.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

I oftened wondered if that spark would damage the board. I became a girly-man and always unplug fridge first, then plug it back in after jumping.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

That works, too!   :dazzler:

#10 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

I became a girly-man

Always a good idea, safety first - Stayin Alive

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#11 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

Ahnold the idiot caught cheating on his wife and even had a kid with his mistress. Great way to ruin your career in politics.  That's why he's back to being an actor again.

Scott Wolf

#12 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

Which is where he belongs anyway - look at his choice of tie colors, you have to strain to see that he's even wearing one - nothing speaks power like light yellow on white. He's in 2 movies coming out this year. Currently reading his latest book.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics