Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE ZFSB26ORD loud circulation fan in freezer

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

The circulation fan in our GE side by side freezer is loud...sort of.  It appears to be hitting the cover from time to time, though not consistently.  Is there any way to adjust the cover to eliminate the noise?  Is the occasional sound a sign that the cooling fan is going (drive shaft is slipping) and that the fan needs to be replaced?  is there any room to adjust the mounting for that fan?

How messy is it to get out?

Thanks,

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

www.ieappliance.com

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

I replace the fan motor and blade when this happens.

Fan motor   http://www.repaircli...0X10185/1170107

http://www.repaircli...0X10208/1170124

Sometimes you may also need the fan grommet.

http://www.repaircli...2X12008/1091586

This a fairly easy repair. It just takes awhile because you have to remove all the panels off of the inside rear of the freezer.

Also remove the side brackets and ice motor brackets. Make sure there is no ice build up that the fan blade is hitting. If there is then let us know.

Make sure you take pictures as you go for reference on how to put it back together.

You may want to replace the two thermistors while you are in there.

http://www.repaircli...55X10025/914093

And if you want to get real preventative maintenance replace the defrost heater;>

http://www.repaircli...51X10055/914088

#3 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

One of the mounting screws/grommets may have deteriorated .... The blade could be warped or hitting ice..... Bad motor.... You have to put your eyes on it. You may have to remove all or some of the following : icemaker, bucket, auger assembly and evap plenum/channel before accessing evap fan. One of the reasons we need and love a good Snapon ratcheting nutdriver

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 04 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

... ZFSB26ORD

can you check that model number again ?

OR is the Fan Blade hitting the overly frosted ice on the Evaporator ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Thanks  ZFSB2RD is the correct model number.

The freezer doesn't have any frosting problems at all, so I'm suspecting grommet or fan issues.  I can manipulate the cover a bit with my finger and eliminate the sound, which seems to be raw plastic contact. This is an 8 year old unit, and peer appliances around the house are starting to show their age.  I just did the drain pump in our washing machine which gets moderate use in a household with 2 young kids.

I'll order the pump grommet and thermistor. They're cheap enough preventive maintenance.  I'll forgo the defroster heater to insure that it fails next month.

Marc

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

...  ZFSB2RD is the correct model number

I'll order the pump grommet and thermistor.

? ? ? :rolleyes:

#7 KCTBURY

KCTBURY

www.ieappliance.com

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coke

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

The freezer doesn't have any frosting problems at all, so I'm suspecting grommet or fan issues.  I can manipulate the cover a bit with my finger and eliminate the sound, which seems to be raw plastic contact. This is an 8 year old unit, and peer appliances around the house are starting to show their age.  I just did the drain pump in our washing machine which gets moderate use in a household with 2 young kids.

I'll order the pump grommet and thermistor. They're cheap enough preventive maintenance.  I'll forgo the defroster heater to insure that it fails next month.

Marc

I think you meant fan;> 

There are 2 thermistors in the freezer side.

When installing the thermistors I get a wire nut and fill it with silicon, then put the wires in it, twist real good, and wipe off excess silicon.

Edited by KCTBURY, 06 January 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I think you meant fan;>

When installing the thermistors I get a wire nut and fill it with silicon, then put the wires in it, twist real good, and wipe off excess silicon.

I would strongly suggest bell connectors filled with silicone and crimped, butt connectors crimped with heat shrink or soldering.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 January 2013 - 07:58 PM.

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Solder and sealant filled heat shrink......100% water tight.......Thermistor wires are too small for most wire nuts...........

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

An illustrated and annotated guide to thermistor replacement ==> http://appliantology...nnotated-guide/

#11 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for all the insights. Have ordered all parts including two fans, One with thermistor attached and one without since I won't know which one is in there until I have the mess apart.  I'm assuming this will take an hour or so as I budget relocating all the food in the freezer and contemplating leaving items stranded in the fridge.

Doesn't look complex...just a lot of steps to get the back of the freezer open.

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

are you sure ?

maybe

ZFSB2DR and (3) more characters ?

#13 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

ZFSB26DRD SS (Now that I'm away from home and can't confirm)  its a 26 cu ft free standing monogram side by side unit.

I stopped trying to fix my foggy-eyed typos (Young kids in the AM+Beer in the PM=Idiot at 10:00pm STOP TYPING)

From the descriptions It felt like the side by side GE freezers were pretty uniform in their anatomy, though the Monograms do have a few more bells and whistles behind the pretty doors.  I got the general idea and will gut my machine the first weekend after I get the parts.

Yes, I searched with the model number and got an ambiguous response on the motor, which is why I bought both.

http://www.repaircli...or fan motor-==

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I stopped trying to fix my foggy-eyed typos (Young kids in the AM+Beer in the PM=Idiot at 10:00pm STOP TYPING)

My eyesight isn't as good as it once was blink.gif (see RegUS_PatOff )

#15 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

So I tried the repair and had to abandon. I couldn't get the back panel out. I have a monogram with sliding baskets. Do all the slider brackets on the walls have to come off to release the lower back panel?

I wanted to check before going after many fasteners.

Thanks

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Many times you have to remove rails to have enough room to remove the panel. I usually remove the last screw (screw closest to the panel) on each of the lower rails, then I pivot the rails down. If not enough space then I do the same with the next lowest rails.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 January 2013 - 02:28 PM.

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

I usually remove the last screw (screw closest to the panel) on each of the lower rails, then I pivot the rails down. If not enough space then I do the same with the next lowest rails.

Good tip, Brother Durham!  Gotta remember that one-- here I've been removing the rail altogether.  

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,978 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Good tip, Brother Durham! Gotta remember that one-- here I've been removing the rail altogether.

glad to be of service....but man, I'm gonna need your advice on those whirlpool/maytag/amana bottom mounts with those, as you put it "gitmo" rails. Had three of the ^#$%@ things in the last two days......I can get them back in ok...but getting them out takes entirely too long. I must be doing something wrong. Saw your video but there has to be a trick to getting them out. Haven't been on appliantology much in the last few days because I have been spending lots of time coming up with an appropriate curse to lay on whomthehellever came up with that design.

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hmm, no trick that I can recall in getting the GITMO rails out, it was the putting them back in part that usually gives me fits.  Next time I have one of these, I'll make a video that focuses just on removing and re-installing these rails and dedicate it to you.   

#20 Marcplante

Marcplante

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

First time I went in, I got everything out except the lower back panel, which kept me from getting the bottom screws off of the evaporator fan cover panel.  I had pulled out the ice maker and screw mechanism, so I adjusted the cover by removing the top two screws and flexing and moving it a bit to get a touch of clearance. I'm going to hang onto the parts and watch it for a week and see how things go.  If need be, I'll go in again next weekend.  I'm not in the mood tonight, and I have a kid full day tomorrow, meaning I won't want to try again tomorrow night.  Thanks for the advice.  I'm very confident of the rest of the repair, just not motivated right now.  First time into any machine is awkward. So far, I've gotten tours of my washer, dryer, dishwasher, hot water heater and now my fridge.  Methinks another round of beer money is in order...

Thanks guys.

Marc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics