I need understanding & wisdon on a GE freestanding Oven/Range, model number JBP78W0B1WW; SN AZ158672Q.
My wife called me in a panic this afternoon. The lower (bake) element on the said range was sparking and on fire. She turned the oven control to "OFF" and the element continued to spark and begin to flame. She was quite panicked at this point and tried the fire extinguisher on the flame with no success. Finally, she turned off the breaker which allowed for extinguishing of the sparks and flames. When I arrived home I found that part of the element had broken off so that it was discontinuous.
I read in the FAQs that both side of the element of energized when the element is on. However I still have questions
Here are my questions
1) I am assuming that turning off the controls does not open the circuit on both sides of the element. Is this correct?
2) Assuming #1 is correct, how was the part of the element that continued to spark and burn making the complete circuit? Was it completing the circuit through the body of the oven?
3) Assuming #1 is correct, does that mean that the element is (under normal circumstances) energized even when the control switch is off. At least on one side of the element anyway?
4) Assuming #3 is correct, is the element have an outter insulation .... it would have to be for safety sake, otherwise, at any point if you touched the element, even with the control off, you would get shocked, right?
5) Based on the above, is most likely the element the only thing that needs replacing? Can someone please "link me" to the appropriate part?