Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE freestanding Oven Element Question

GE Oven Element

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 senoiasummer

senoiasummer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Don't drink

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I need understanding & wisdon on a GE freestanding Oven/Range, model number JBP78W0B1WW; SN AZ158672Q.

My wife called me in a panic this afternoon.  The lower (bake) element on the said range was sparking and on fire.   She turned the oven control to "OFF" and the element continued to spark and begin to flame.   She was quite panicked at this point and tried the fire extinguisher on the flame with no success.  Finally, she turned off the breaker which allowed for extinguishing of the sparks and flames.   When I arrived home I found that part of the element had broken off so that it was discontinuous.  

I read in the FAQs that both side of the element of energized when the element is on.   However I still have questions

Here are my questions

1) I am assuming that turning off the controls does not open the circuit on both sides of the element.  Is this correct?

2) Assuming #1 is correct, how was the part of the element that continued to spark and burn making the complete circuit?  Was it completing the circuit through the body of the oven?

3)  Assuming #1 is correct, does that mean that the element is (under normal circumstances) energized even when the control switch is off.  At least on one side of the element anyway?

4)  Assuming #3 is correct, is the element have an outter insulation .... it would have to be for safety sake, otherwise, at any point if you touched the element, even with the control off, you would get shocked, right?

5) Based on the above, is most likely the element the only thing that needs replacing?  Can someone please "link me" to the appropriate part?

Thanks!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

On many ranges, one side of the element is "hot" even when the controls are off.  Most of the time, even in spectacular fireworks cases like yours, the only thing you need to replace is the damage element.  Here's the replacement bake element for your range ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=JBP78WB1WW

Bake-Element-WB44T10011-00966274.jpg

It's a plug and chug to replace.  Just be sure to unplug or cut the breaker first.  Here's a video that takes you through it step-by-step:

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

1) ... I am assuming that turning off the controls does not open the circuit on both sides of the element.

2) ... Was it completing the circuit through the body of the oven?

3) ... does that mean that the element is (under normal circumstances) energized even when the control switch is off.

4) ... the element have an outter insulation .

5) ... is most likely the element the only thing that needs replacing? 

1) correct, on some models

2) correct

3) correct, on some models

4) ... kind of .. ceramic

5) ... hopefully . but many times that "short to chassis" also takes out (a Relay on) the Controller ..

If the Oven doesn't work after replacing the Element, then

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=824274

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics