Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

arturo7

Programming Maytag Fridge

64 posts in this topic

Alright, i have the light cover off but I can't figure out how to remove the control board housing. The drawing on page 32 shows release tabs but doesn't give any indication of how they actuate. Does the cover come down or go forward?

Maybe I'm just being overcautios for fear of breaking it...

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Okay.... Remove top and next shelves... Get a flat blade screwdriver and you are going to have to lean backwards in the fridge. Look up at the back of the housing and you will see two slots. The clips are shaped like an upside down "L" Push the screwdriver in the slot at slightly more than a forty-five degree angle. Some force may be required. Do both sides and the housing will pivot down away from you and towards the front.

IMG00003.jpg

they say a picture speaks a thousand words. My pictures only speaks four: "I suck at drawing."

Edited by DurhamAppliance
3 people like this

Thanks, DA. I'll give it a shot.

Dear Mods, I think your "answered" tag is a bit premature. The fridge isn't running yet...

Marked it unsolved - let us know

Finally home for a couple days. I was able to replace this board but the problem persists...

Is there a GFI at the outlet where you plug the fridge in? How bout the breaker that the fridge is on? is it a GFI type? Is  the fridge on a gfi circuit,say, behind the coffee maker per chance? nI have seen similar  scenario's play out over the years. Its the first thing you want to  rule out.

2 people like this

If no GFI problem, you could be in control board - Keypad purgatory.   They may not be communicating  with each other and it can be difficult to tell which one is causing the problem...could be board, ribbon seating, keypad or all three...some call it hell, but it's more like purgatory.  If you got your board from repair clinic, and your old one does the same thing, send the new one back and get a keypad and make sure the ribbon is seated properly.   Did we ever get an answer regarding frost pattern on your evap?

1 person likes this

no frost

Curious how this could be a connection issue?  The previous board had the same condition. How could the ribbon become unseated w/o removing the cover?

Curious how this could be a connection issue?  The previous board had the same condition. How could the ribbon become unseated w/o removing the cover?

a connection issue does not necessarily mean a problem with seating.  Could be a bad ribbon. Connection, in this case, means communication between the keyboard and main board ie they aint talkin wit each other like they should.

1 person likes this

The touchpad has been replaced. Same problem.

Looks like it may have been a bad decision to attempt a DIY fix.

Open for any suggestions or recommendation of a good repair tech in SoCal...

Dear mods, problem still not "answered."

Okay....does "same problem" mean that there is no cooling or that you cannot get the user interface to work?  If no cooling, we need to see a picture of your evaporator coils...you said "no frost" but that does not give us sufficient info.  

Earlier, I suggested you replaced thermistors. They are cheap enough, was this done?  I have experienced 2 fridges where thermistors caused the display board or access to diagnostic mode not to work. Doesn't make sense and have not had anyone with more electrical knowledge confirm this possibility. All I know is once the bad thermistors were replaced, everything worked. One was a GE and the other was a fridge with a jazz board. The only support I have on this is during Asti training the instructor in the Basic Electricity class talked about an oven model where a bad temp probe caused the display not to work. and a temp probe is nothing but a thermistor. Although when I asked him if the same thing was possible in my situations, he could not confirm it. 

But don't give up...never ever give up!

2 people like this

The control panel  is nothing more than a display panel on these models, the Jazz board has the actual buttons on it. Chances are you don't have the Jazz board fully seated in the display.

The touchpad has been replaced. Same problem.

Why did you replace the touchpad?  Or did you actually replace the jazz control board but used the wrong term in your reply?

Why did you replace the touchpad?  Or did you actually replace the jazz control board but used the wrong term in your reply?

main problem was no cooling and touchpad not responsive. initially replaced a board called the hv board but not the jazz board. then jazz board then touch pad. Im not sure if the problem is still no cooling and non responsive board.

1 person likes this

Domo for the re-cap and clarification, Brother Durham.  

The HV board, Jazz board, and touchpad have all been replaced.

At present, the display reads PE0 - 000, but it will not respond to any input.

The original problem was that the temp displays read in the 60's and the control would not respond to any input. Before the HV board was replaced, there was something running, but there was no cooling. Now there is nothing running.

I assume there are 2 thermistors? Anybody have the part numbers?

Hello, my uncool friend. When you replaced the Jazz Board, did you program in the correct personality code found on the model number tag?

Also, these Jazz Boards are particularly static sensitive. If you failed to observe anti-static precautions or if you handled the board by other than the edges, you may have damaged it upon installation. I once made this mistake with the inverter board for my yak dung and lime juice DC voltage generator. Unfortunately, it was a board scavaged from old Soviet equipment so, unlike parts purchased from your Ameedican RepairClinic, I did not have the option of requesting a free replacement.

2 people like this

... When you replaced the Jazz Board, did you program in the correct personality code found on the model number tag?

:beatnik:

from original post:

... Trying to program the new board but the touchpad will not accept any input.

1 person likes this

Hello, Regular, my quotable friend. Thank you for pointing out the superfluidity of my suggestion. With the time difference between this forum, which seems to be mostly US time zones, and my own time zone in Kabul, Afghanistan, and my real-world duties sampling our poppy crop, it is difficult for me to keep up with all that transpires in a lengthy topic. In fact, one of my wives has just brought me another sample of the crop to test in the hookah. Please excuse me, I will be gone for a while as this is a time-intensive process. My wives usually get frisky after the crop sampling.

3 people like this

PE 0 00 means you have entered the program mode. There should have been instructions in the box with the jazz board. The number is located on the same label as the model and serial number. It should say code followed by numbers just below voltage and amps on the label.

Edited by tpoindexter
1 person likes this

PE 0 00 means you have entered the program mode. There should have been instructions in the box with the jazz board. The number is located on the same label as the model and serial number. It should say code followed by numbers just below voltage and amps on the label.

I have the instructions but the system will not respond to any input.

I have the instructions but the system will not respond to any input.

may have to post YouTube video of your programing sequence attempt

1 person likes this

may have to post YouTube video of your programing sequence attempt

I don't have a Youtube account. Plus, if I'm doing it wrong, It would be much better to see someone doing it successfully.

Picked up a thermistor. If one of them is bad, I'd guess it's in the freezer. 

What is involved in changing it?