Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Lost with the new appliances? The Samurai teaches you Circuit Fu…

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
DanInKansas

Maytag d/w MDB7600AWW -- motor does not start

3 posts in this topic

Customer had previously had a broken handle on this unit. Came into the store, bought a replacement handle and then called 2 months later to say the new handle wasn't working either.

Put the unit into its component test and it failed on the wash motor.  Had 3.6 ohms at the motor and 15.5 microfarads on the capacitor.  The blue wire -- common was showing 108 volts, but the red wire, which looks like it has the start windings, did not show more than 3 volts on my meter. 

The tech sheet is pretty specific -- if the motor doesn't start, replace the motor.  However, the black rubber inside the unit has peeled away from the door liner right where it sat under the vent.  I've got a lot of evidence of detergent laden vapor condensing inside the door there. 

So on the one hand, I have experience saying "control boards go bad when they get moist" and on the other, the techline saying the motor is more probably at fault.  Anyone have ideas on this?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

... Had 3.6 ohms at the motor

1) from Main (yellow) to Common (blue) OHMs ?

what's Start (red) to Common (blue) OHMs ?

When new motor and seal were priced out to customer, he came into the shop and bought a new one, so we'll probably never know.  One of the nice things about working for a dealership -- if it's too expensive to repair, I can hook him up with a new one the same day.