Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
AlexM

Microwave Door Flopping Down, What Parts?

11 posts in this topic

This Microwave; Kitchenaide Model# KBMC140HSS03 has the door that flops down.  I tried looking up the two springs, left and right because I think they need to be replaced.  I was confused looking at the blowed up diagram, Do i just need the left and right springs? and what would the correct part numbers be, i looked up a couple different part numbers.  Assuming I can get this repaired, will the new springs work as well as the factory ones did?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You need both torsion bars.  Usually only one is broken, but I replace both at the same time. 

EDIT:  I'm coming up with part number 4451009 for both.  I know the stainless ones are 2 different ones, not sure about the black model though.

Edited by Strathy

Actually the stainless model uses 2 different bars.  4452396 and 4452395 - the diagram is wrong.  Not sure about how it works with the black model though.  Not sure if they are both the same or not.  

Actually the stainless model uses 2 different bars.  4452396 and 4452395 - the diagram is wrong.  Not sure about how it works with the black model though.  Not sure if they are both the same or not.  

could be .. but diagram & parts list is from the Whirlpool website

also, another model:

http://appliantology.org/topic/38438-kitchenaid-oven-microwave-combo-built-in-kemc308kbl04-microwave-door-flops-down/

Neither here nor there - his is a black model and I don't remember how those ones are.  According to my parts records, I changed 42 of the stainless ones last year though ... those ones I knows what I knows.  lol.  

Just checked my truck:

4452396 Heavy Spring

4452395 Light Spring

4451009 Medium Spring

My guess is that he has one medium and one light one on his.  I've often replaced the factory installed one light and one heavy with 2 mediums which seems to have about the same tension, but that was always on the stainless units.  Only guessing on the black one.

... Kitchenaide Model# KBMC140HSS03

Neither here nor there - his is a black model

4452396 Heavy Spring

4452395 Light Spring

4451009 Medium Spring

My eyesight isn't as good as it once was blink.gif (see RegUS_PatOff )

but from here it looks like his model is stainless steel

What??? lol.  Not an eyesight issue on yer part!  Don't know where I got the idea it was black ... lol.  Sorry guys.

O.K., now I need some clarification, the unit I was looking at has a stainless steel exterior and the inside of the door is black. Should I order the different springs ending in 95 & 96?

Yes - that is a Stainless model - don't know where I came up with black! Sorry for the confusion on that. From my experience, I would replace both the /96 and the /95. However, I have also put in two /09's and had it work pretty well too. You will likely find that only the /96 (heavy one) is broken at the elbow - but I've had better luck changing both than just the broken one.

Edited by Strathy

Good luck with that ...