Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

bogreen

Kenmore Washer Model #110.29522800

18 posts in this topic

I replaced bad motor and capacitor in this unit a couple of weeks ago.

Last week customer called me back and the capacitor had blown. I replaced.

Yesterday, she called again and has the same problem.

She says there are electrical issues in the home ie. water pooling outside under the circuit breaker box.

Landlord's electrician is checking this out.

Any other washer related causes for multiple capacitor blows? The motor is brand new Whirlpool that I also replaced.

Thanks,

Bruce

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I would verify the voltage at the outlet, check the wiring (insulation) for any problems, and then check the pump and under the spin basket for anything that might be causing a higher amp draw.  I would think the thermal overload on the motor would go before the capacitor, but things happen. 

... She says there are electrical issues in the home ie. water pooling outside under the circuit breaker box.

... Landlord's electrician is checking this out.

if maybe the electrical House Main Neutral is loose / corroded / disconnected

Check the incoming voltage.

I suspect it is greater than 120 volts.

Also check for voltage on the neutral and ground wires.

The landlord had his electrician out to the house today.

The house is old and has no ground, as old house's go, but he said that wouldn't cause a problem.

He said the outlet measures 122 volts and that too is good.

The capacitor box also states 110v - 125v, so it looks like it must be something in the machine.

Any more ideas?

does the house also have 240v ?

(two 120v lines) and Neutral

post pictures ?

I had a 4 year old direct drive Kenmore top load washer with the el cheapo plastic timer. The timer contacts were welded together so bad that the minute you pulled the timer knob out it would blow the house circuit breaker. I REALLY wish they would go back to the old metal timers with the screw on timer knobs.  These el cheapo plastic timers with the push knob in, pull shaft out to remove the timer knob are pure garbage.  Again, the manufacturers are being penny wise and pound foolish at the expense of the consumer.

The capacitor is for starting only. As soon as the motor comes up to speed, which should be less than a couple seconds, it is switched out of circuit by the motor switch. The capacitor can be damaged and/or blown up if power is applied to it for too long a period of time. Check to make sure the motor is coming up to speed quickly, particularly in spin mode, as it should.

Eric

The weird thing about this washer is she gets multiple uses of it before it blows the capacitor.

I could understand it if it blows right away each time, but she does loads with no problem and then all of a sudden

it fills and doesn't go any farther.

It might be refund time and cut my mental losses.

You sure the replacement Capacitor was the same MFD rating ?    I recall some errors with parts listings on some models, would bring up a different valued Cap.

You sure the replacement Capacitor was the same MFD rating ?  

The manufacturer has replaced part # 8572717

with this item, part # 482156

189-227 MFD 125VAC

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=2859

Start-Capacitor-482156-00632669.jpg

And may, in fact, require this one:

yes, may depend on the Motor model part number,

an original part number Motor OR a replacement Motor with a different part number...

Drive-Motor-661600--00632465.jpg

The original motor (part no. 8528158) for this washer calls for a 189-227mfd capacitor.

Eric

If it's the original Motor

Even the "correct" replacement motor uses this same capacitor. Of course, anything is possible, so the OP needs to check the motor label for the proper size capacitor.

BTW, you can get these from Grainger for $6

Eric

Edited by fairbank56

If only Jumptrout was here, he'd know what to do !

Have the customer plug it into a surge protector line filter type power strip. The other option is leaving a meter set up that will capture the high and low voltages.

Could you make your own ground by running a wire from the rear panel to a water pipe?

He said the house has no ground? I can see ungrounded recepticles, but a fuse box with no earth ground don't sound right.