Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG Disappointment - Bleach Leaking?

LG Washer Bleach Leak WM2801H

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 roryrhodes

roryrhodes

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:New Castle of Course!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have yet another challenge for the fine folks on the appliantology forum. I have a 3 year old LG, WM2801HWA Washer. (Pronounced warsher in my part of Georgia). For some time, there has been a leak down the front, over the pedestal, and onto the floor. Origination looks like the bleach/softener/detergent dispensing drawer. This has now corroded metal, and really messed with the finish on the floor. (no pan of course). I do not think this should have happened, but it has. Any advice?

The pictures are below, there has to be a permanent fix versus the "breaking the vacuum" fixes I have found.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

may have to get in there and see what's leaking ..F1010014-00003.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Several possible causes...

If the washer is not level (lower at front than back)---a leak can occur during MAIN WASH fill.

Looking inside the DISPENSER housing---if reddish (iron) or white (calcium) deposits have accumulated at the top---this can cause water to spray to the side rather than downward (missing the dispenser entirely).

The most common cause is---from sliding the Dispenser Drawer too forcefully---causing splatter (especially bleach) when the drawer is either closed or opened.

If you have kids (doing their own laundry) advise them to use caution while filling the bleach dispenser.

Bleach is *highly corrosive*.

Filling the dispenser in a hurry---usually results in splatter/mess.

NOTE: Remove the blue dispenser (for liquid detergent) and toss it in the recycle/trash bin :)

Edited by john63, 11 January 2013 - 12:33 AM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

I like to make the machine slightly higher in the front, maybe 1/4". I have also taken the dispenser and taken off about 1/8 inch from the front at the point the dispenser touches the metal support behind the console right where the screws hold it in the front. This closes that gap where the console, support, and dispenser meet. If you have really strong water pressure, you might want to use the supply valves to throttle it down some. Johns tip to toss the blue dispenser insert is a great idea, I'll add that to my methods.

Adding bleach to a siphon action dispenser is a tricky process. Never use the jug! Get a small cup, like the cap from a liquid detergent jug, and pour from the jug into the cup, then carefully into the dispenser. Your manual should give you the ammount. If you over fill it, it will start to siphon drain before you get the drawer pushed back in.

John63 is the man on the LG line, I would advise reading his other posts for insight into your machines servicing. I really like the LG's, I think it's the best machine on the market today.

Nick    

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

<<<I have also taken the dispenser and taken off about 1/8 inch from the front at the point the dispenser touches the metal support behind the console right where the screws hold it in the front. This closes that gap where the console, support, and dispenser meet>>>

An excellent idea/solution :)

<<<Johns tip to toss the blue dispenser insert is a great idea>>>

Customers find this difficult to understand---when I explain that this "tip" comes from LG (training instructor).

The DISPENSER CUP isn't really needed.

The PRE WASH compartment---does not use a liquid dispenser cup.

The MAX line in the blue cup---simply indicates the point at which liquid detergent & water will begin dispensing.

Most consumers (understandably) think that the MAX line is for measuring detergent---which is incorrect.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

I still replace alot of hall sensors on the LG front load washers but don't see half the rear bearing and seal issues as I do on the other brands.

Scott Wolf

#7 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

<<<I still replace alot of hall sensors on the LG front load washers>>>

Not on units built after April/May 2008.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hey John63, did you even see that I gave LG a compliment?  I don't see nearly as many seal and bearing issues on the LG washers as I do the other brands. 

Frigidaire, Maytag and Whirlpool have had more than their share of bearing and seal failures.

Scott Wolf

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

... Frigidaire, Maytag and Whirlpool have had more than their share of bearing and seal failures.

... sadly, although not the fault of the workers building them, but upper management and the engineers that designed them ..

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

... sadly, although not the fault of the workers building them, but upper management and the engineers that designed them ..

To paraphrase Milton Friedman, "Problems with a company's service or product is always and everywhere a management problem."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics