Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Troubleshooting Help with Fridgidaire Front Load Washer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DerekCutler

DerekCutler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Schooner

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

FTF530FS0 

Hello All,
I have a Fridgedaire front load washing machine model #FTF530FS0 . The machine will not go into high spin with clothes in the washing machine. From the information that I have found this most likely caused by a faulty door latch mechanism. I measured the resistance and it was 966ohms on the 2 male pins on the bottom. I was going to buy a new one but then found out i couldn't return it if it didn't fix my problem. While I was at the parts store I measured the resistance of a new latch and it was 1640ohms. So, this is probably the issue. I just wanted to check the speed control module and the motor before i go through the trouble of ordering the latch and find out that it wasn't the issue. Can anyone offer me some trouble shooting tips to determine if these parts are ok. I really don't like doing the parts replacement method of trouble shooting problems so i am looking for some more technical checks that i can preform. Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

... I measured the resistance and it was 966ohms 
... I was going to buy a new one but then found out i couldn't return it if it didn't fix my problem.

1) not a valid test
2) any part purchased from RepairClinic can be returned for a refund (less shipping)
including installed electrical parts

While the Door is locked in the Spin Cycle,
is the Door really locked ?
If so, then during Spin, un-plug Washer from Wall Outlet,
can you then open the Door right away ? (bad Door Lock Assembly)
OR only after a few minutes ? (good Door Lock)
]http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=154&N=1531974

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DerekCutler

DerekCutler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

That is good information I will test that out when I get home tonight. I did find that Repair Clinic would allow me to return the part, I just wanted to check the speed control module and the motor before I placed my order. It didn't make much sense to order the door latch, and then find out the problem wasn't fixed then order the next part. The other problem was that I didn't want to order all 3 parts if I didn't need to, as the total would be 500-600$ tied up for up to a month plus the shipping costs would be that much more expensive due to the weight and size of the other components. There must be a way to test that the speed control is working ok, and the motor is working properly? I should have added in my original post that when the washing machine is in the final spin cycle it does spin, but not at high speed. It acts more like it is in the wash cycle (ie- starts to ramp up and then stops and starts going in the other direction). I am pretty handy and do quite a bit of electrical testing at work so I am sure that if there is a process to confirm the operation of these components I will have no problem checking them out. Thanks. 

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

...  when the washing machine is in the final spin cycle it does spin, but not at high speed.

... It acts more like it is in the wash cycle (ie- starts to ramp up and then stops and starts going in the other direction).

classic Door Lock Assembly problem

(the internal "wax motor" could be replaced for less than $20)

#5 DerekCutler

DerekCutler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Thank You, I will order the part today. I appreciate the help.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

http://appliantology...-but-wont-spin/

#7 DerekCutler

DerekCutler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

That's a excellent thread, thank you so much. I will check that wax motor when I get home and maybe that's all I will need to replace. Since, you seem to know about these washers I have another question. Before the spin cycle broke the washing machine made a loud bang and then seemed to be off balance and had excessive vibrations. I am assuming that one of the shock's let go, the top springs and counter weight all seem tight and in good shape. If one of the shocks broke and the drum dropped that would probably have damaged the door switch so it all seems to be adding up. I checked that the machine is level so besides the top springs, counter weight and shocks is there anything else that could affect the balance of the washer? Also, if the shock let go and the drum dropped at all is there any chance that something could have got bent where the pulley connects to the drum? (By dropped I don't mean that it fell to the floor but I would assume that it could fall a 1/2" or so)   

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

also note:

it won't high-speed Spin if it doesn't Drain completely

some more info:

http://www.scribd.co...ing-Replacement

http://appliantology...nt-load-washer/

#9 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

STOP!!!! Don't buy any parts yet!!!!

The loud bang you heard was most likely the tub spider support assembly breaking while in a high speed spin.

If this is what has happened it's most likely not going to be worth repairing.

The load bang along with the then excessive vibration is all signs of the spider support breaking.  Now the front of the tub could very well be rubbing against the front boot area which will cause a drag when it is trying to ramp up to spin speed so it will think it's out of balance and keep trying to redistribute the load and can never come up to high speed spin now.

Look closely around the front of the stainless spin basket all the way around the boot and see if you see any rub marks.

Also turn the inner stainless basket so the "Y" in the back has an arm pointing up and see if you can flew just the basket up/down.  Do this with each of the 3 legs of the "Y" at the top, must likely you're going to find one that flexes which will be the one that broke.

Depending on how badly it broke you might even find a big chunk of the rear tub shell blown out in the rear.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 12 January 2013 - 08:55 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

The Samurai Method for Assessing Drum Support and Bearing Integrity ™:

#11 DerekCutler

DerekCutler

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

Thanks everyone, I re-installed the old door switch and it ran in high speed but did not turn right. The rear spider gear is definitely gone, it makes a noise like a shot bearing and is way out of wack. No since replacing this as it is worth half the price of a new washer. I appreciate all the help.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,053 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Yep, sho nuff sucks.  But domo for the update!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics