Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Dishwasher touch panel replacement?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DrRuth

DrRuth

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

G'day

Thanks to this website I've successfully been able to fix various appliance problems myself over the years. For this I am very grateful.

For the first time I have a problem I haven't been able to find someone else talk about so I'm forced to post my own question.

I have a GE dishwasher (model GSD4430). It turns itself off intermittently, and the problem has increased over the last few months. I am pretty sure it's the touch sensitive controls, because if I keep my finger pressing on the button it keeps working, but if I let go of the button, the majority of the time it shuts off, but if I'm lucky it will keep running and maybe even run long enough to wash the load. Continuing all the way through the cycle is getting rarer and rarer though, so I'm wasting water and time trying to get a load washed. 

I see that I can purchase a new touchpad through repairclinic (touchpad WD 21X773, item #271740), but I've checked with customer service and it doesn't come with any instructions on how to install it. I've searched around here and don't see anything. I've unscrewed the door and looked around in there, and it isn't entirely obvious how it is done. I could start unscrewing things and poking around, but figured I"d ask here first.

I did call a local repair man who told me it was so old I should replace it (but it works great other than this - it was new in 1997 and is still in excellent condition other than this problem.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ruth

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

... It turns itself off intermittently
... I am pretty sure it's the touch sensitive controls,
... I see that I can purchase a new touchpad through repairclinic (touchpad WD 21X773, item #271740),
... local repair man who told me it was so old I should replace it

1) sounds like a bad Controller (NLA)
2) the Touchpad is only a "switch" ... sounds like it's working
3) the Controller senses the momentary switch activation and should continue to run until the "end of the cycle"
4) yes

a lot of users don't like GE appliances .. too many different models... high cost of repalcement parts, etc ..

service info sometimes hard to find
Service Manual:
http://appliantology...series-31-3281/

Appliance sales every few weeks ...

http://appliantology...ppliance-deals/

Kenmore (Whirlpool) $ 269

http://www.sears.com...05_02215112000P

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 DrRuth

DrRuth

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for your answer. What does NLA mean?  I didn't find a controller at Repalr clinic, so I presume it means "you are screwed you'll have to buy a new one" given the links to sales at the end of your answer.

Bummer, but thanks for saving me time trying to fix it.

R

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:28 PM

NLA no longer available..

may be found other places, maybe used, maybe eBay,

but a lot of appliances change so often

parts are sometimes not available very long .

Before buying new, post brand & model number here..

someone may know wash-ability, reliability, etc,

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics