Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
AlexM

Is it acceptable to put a brass compression nut on 1/4" plastic line?

8 posts in this topic

Can I use a 1/4" brass compression nut and brass feral to connect a 1/4" plastic water line to a ice maker water valve?  Will it leak?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Not a good idea. It might work out ok but then it might not. I've repaired leaking water lines that were set up that way. Use plastic with plastic and brass with brass. From what I've observed, the brass feral doesn't seat right on the plastic tubing and can sometimes cut through the plastic.

It is acceptable. In fact, many inexpensive kits come that way http://www.lowes.com/pd_247012-59288-98519_4294935907__?productId=3196985&Ntt=ice+maker+water+line+kit&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dice%2Bmaker%2Bwater%2Bline%2Bkit&facetInfo=

I think a better question would be whether it is recommended. A follow up question would be whether you have good insurance coverage.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

If you're going to use a brass nut and feral on a plastic water line you need the metal inserts that correspond to the size of the water line to keep the compression feral from crushing the plastic line.

Glad I asked.

Is there a seperate part number for the plastic feral?

Is there a fitting that has the 1/4" compression on one end, and a quick connect on the other?