Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite 110.27032602 water splash problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Greetings Samurai, all.  It has, by my calculation, been about 5 years since my last visit to the dojo, which is apparently how long it takes new appliances to begin breaking down. 

This is the top-loading Kenmore Elite Oasis model (with the "regular" agitator rather than the fancy disc one).   Until now the only problem I've had with it was a bad position sensor and a few problems with socks and rags working their way between the drums.  

Recently it has begun having two issues more or less at the same time.  

- First, during certain points of the cycle, it goes out of balance and clatters around, sometimes tripping the UL warning, other times not.  This happens even with light loads and when during most of the cycle the balance has been fine. 

- Second, I have been getting a little puddle of soapy water on the floor near the left side back of the washer after the cycle.  I have studied the pumps and the main shaft and they are dry and have no evidence of leaking.  I cheated out the lid lock and watched a full cycle -- what does appear to be happening is that water is spalshing out of the bleach fill cup in that corner of the drum, presumably during the time when it is banging around.   The cup seems to fill up at random times in the cycle, and at least one of these times seems to coincide with the off-balance banging.  

The balance struts and springs appear to be straight and intact.  A couple of the springs are somewhat rusty -- I don't know if this in itself is enough to cause a problem. 

There's not much here on this particular model; I've seen some threads on Cabrio which I know is related to Oasis but those systems seem to have the disc agitator.  

Looking for guidance, here -- I've considered just getting a strut kit but recall the Samurai's injunction against GUESSING.  

Thankee-sai,

JGM

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yes, your suspension rods are shot, they must be replaced as a kit.  The early ones have been problematic, even if they don't "look" bad.

http://www.repaircli...0189077/1456067

Scott Wolf

#3 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Thanks Scott, that part is ordered.  From viewing the video this replacement looks straightforward.

I think I need to do this in any event but I wish I were more confident in my guess about where the water is coming from.  Does it make sense that a shaky washer would dump water out of the bleach cup?  Are there other places in the area of the little rinse hoses inside the top lid where water is known to get outside the drum?  

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

I once had a call on one of these that would leak each cycle but not constantly. Found a gumwrapper caught inside the cabinet dispenser pieces so would back up in container when bleach water is added near the end of the wash cycle. It had no shaking issue as it was on concrete.

The dispenser required some disassembly in order to get the wrapper out.

Manual is here

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

Look for a crack in the supply hose to one of the dispensers. With the top slightly raised, run the diagnostic cycle with your eyes , and a fashlight, glued to the dispenser supply hoses area. There is an improved tub ring that was designed to get rid of the "mystery leaks" and splash over.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

If yours is 5 years old, then the new strut kit will be the improved version with the added caps that snap into the upper frame. If you're doing this repair, take this oppertunity to remove the basket and clean/check the inner tub. The new suspension rods are much easier to install with the weight of the basket out. Plus you can clean the main shaft and the basket bearing, may even find a few coins.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Update on this:

- Received and installed the suspension kit - so far that appears to have fixed the vibration problem.

- Leak remains -- nick wins the prize here; running through the diagnostic cycle I was able to catch the leak - looks like there is a hole or split in the middle of the hose to the bleach dispenser cup Also thanks to kdog for the link to the manual.

Current trouble is trying to find the part Repariclinic seems to have no sign of it (the closest they have is the entire detergent dispenser assembly) Sears only sells the dispenser assembly for $70 shipped which seems like overkill for a plastic hose leak.  I found one used bleach assembly with hose on eBay but what I really want is just a new hose (or even a set of them) Options?

---

Edit: more research and now I'm more confused From the diagram at Sears the part number I need is 8563872, which is the one that is $70 including shipping:
<a href="http://parts.sears.c...563872/0026/110">http://parts.sears.c...563872/0026/110</a><br />

Searching on that number at RepairClnic yields: <a href="http://www.repaircli...63872&#38;nbsp;">http://www.repaircli...tNumber=8563872</a> in which we learn that "The manufacturer has replaced part number 8563872 with this item, part number W10161863" A more reasonable $35 but out of stock. However this part does not come up when looking at parts for this model number.

Referencing that number back to Sears, however, gets you to: <a href="http://parts.sears.c...8;amp;pop=flush">http://parts.sears.c...8;amp;pop=flush</a> wherein a "dispenser"  can be shipped right away for $31. -- I also see this part number at some other parts sites* for as little as $21 shipped. &nbsp; Not that I expect appliance parts pricing to make any sense but are these really the same parts?

*ApplianceZone, which I had not previously heard of:http://www.appliance...t.aspx?ID=54956 -- is this reputable?

Edited by jgm, 03 February 2013 - 01:20 PM.

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

ApplianceZone is reputable and have some good pricing, reasonable shipping cost also.

I have used them.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Further followup:  despite what repairclinic claimed, W10161863 is NOT a proper replacement for 8563872 in this machine.    The cup fits but the hose is in a different location and so is not long enough to reach the outlet bib.  Unfortunately I tore the old hose further in removing it and so now have nothing connected to the bib.  

Trying an auto-parts store workaround.  

Edited by jgm, 06 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

which Dispenser ?

# 23  OR  # 25 ?

K0702011-00001.png

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:02 PM

which Dispenser ?

# 23  OR  # 25 ?

23.  It's the bleach cup.  The hose is glued on to the cup.  Was hoping to peel it off and clamp a rubber hose as a temporary fix, but it's welded good.  

#12 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well trying to find this is turning into a Keystone Kops episode. 

As I mentioned RepairClinic.com published info saying that "The manufacturer has replaced part number 8563872 with this item, part number W10161863" -- however they are out of stock so I bought a W10161863 from ApplianceZone ($14.60).   It doesn't fit.   I checked with an ApplianceZone rep with my model number and they said 8563872 is the correct number, so I ordered that one ($37).  It came today, and, you guessed it, it's ANOTHER W10161863 with a note on the invoice saying this is the replacement.   So now I have two that don't fit, ApplianceZone is trying to figure out what to do with me and the laundry is piling up. 

If anyone knows of a source for the real 865 part please let me know.  

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

post picture of your "old" part ?

Is it just the length of the Hose on the "new" one that won't reach ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#14 jgm

jgm

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

So here are the old and new parts.   They look similar and both fit in the space and the cup snaps into the hole.

Attached File  new-old top.JPG   55.47KB   7 downloads  Attached File  new-old bottom.JPG   48.52KB   9 downloads

The problem is in the placement of the hose relative to the cup, as you can see when the two parts are stacked with the cups aligned:

Attached File  new-old stacked.JPG   54.41KB   8 downloads

I'm guessing some intern at Whirlpool figured if the hoses were the same length on the old and new parts it would work without fully considering the geometry.   The information that these parts are compatible has been sent out to all the parts companies as far as I can tell, so I doubt I will be the first one to come across this problem.  

Here's what I wound up with after a trip to the auto parts store:

Attached File  kit.JPG   97.49KB   6 downloads

The fancy part here is just a flush and fill tee (Dorman 47127A) that cost a buck.  The tee is superfluous, a straight hose-to-hose connector would have been better but they did not have one big enough for the hose.  The tricky part of getting this to work is that you only need an extra 2 inches on the hose but the 90-degree bend occurs too early to just use a short bit of rubber hose.  I found it best to use about 5-6 inches of the rubber hose to give room to change the angle. 

Here is the final assembly:

Attached File  asspembled.JPG   45.85KB   8 downloads

And the installed result:

Attached File  installed.JPG   78.25KB   7 downloads

I'm not fully happy with it, the plastic hose is still under stress and will probably split again eventually, and the sizes of hoses and fittings is nowhere exact, but it'll allow us to catch up on the laundry backlog for now while I look for a more elegant fix.  

Thanks to all for your help with this.  I hope my experience helps somebody else.  

JGM

Edited by jgm, 09 February 2013 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics