Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag dryer MEDC400VWO, wired wrong. starts then turns off

maytag dryer MEDC400

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Budweiser

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

This dryer was wired wrong when changing over to a 4 prong plug. Once properly wired, when it is turned on the thermal protector on the motor makes a loud noise and then trips out and the motor stops. After 10 minutes or so it will rest and the motor will start again and repeats problem. I have tried it with the belt off and the drum removed. Is the motor burned out now?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

If by miss-wired you mean one of the hot lines got hooked to the neutral then yes motor is prolly toast...
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thats what i figured. It burned a spot on the bottom post on the plug.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Drive motor part link ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MEDC400VW0

Drive-Motor-279827-01191725.jpg

And how to install it...

#5 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I tried to get it out but the blower fan wouldn't come off. Going to have to cut the shaft to get it out. I did figure out it was a left handed tread but the plastic just broke off. Thank you. Robert

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Replacement blower wheel ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=MEDC400VW0

Blower-Wheel-694089-00918612.jpg

And how to install it...

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

did the Drum Light burn-out ?

and upon replacing, does it work OK, now ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes the light burned out but haven't replaced the bulb yet.Forgot to order one when i got the motor.  Getting ready to go install the new motor i ordered. Will update.

#9 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Well,installed new motor and still a problem. Was sure that was it. The thermal protector still makes the same noise but turned it off before it tripped because i knew what the noise was. So, what else can be the problem? The light did blow out but after in ran a couple times while tripping the thermal switch on the motor. Have checked the heater and it isn't shorted out and the can't really find any shorts. Any help would be appreciated.

#10 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

does the Drum Light work, now ?

Dryer Power Terminal Strip

L <-------- 120v ---------> N <------- 120v ----------> L

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#11 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Will have to get a bulb and new socket as the socket that was there burned on the side(negative or neutral) where the threads are when it blew out.  Didn't think a bulb would cause this kind of problems. Will update. Thank you!

#12 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:24 AM

Are you sure the recepticle was/is wired right? The cord could have been put on wrong deliberatly if the person knew the recepticle was wrong. Sounds weird, but I've seen it done. Take a look inside the recepticle and check it.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#13 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,031 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Four-cord dryer cord wiring, at the receptacle...

4prong_dryer_outlet.jpg

... and at the dryer terminal block...

ge_dryer_cord_prong_small.jpg

#14 peppie2013

peppie2013

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Ok, maybe we need to start over. Daughter's father in-law hooked up power cord to dryer incorrectly. He hooked the black-line-120 to the neutral connector. Power cord now is properly connected. Line-n-line    red- white- black. Wires coming to power strip on dryer corresponds to wires coming from dryer cord. Red to red- white to white-black to black and green wire is connected to the ground on the dryer frame. Wall outlet is ok. I checked it and so did apartment complex maintenance department. Now, installed new motor and the same thing happened again when i started the dryer. Thermal protector made a loud buzzing noise and i turned it back off before it tripped out. Is the light working on the dryer? The bulb blew out and the socket got burned around the threads and has to be replaced if i can get one today but can check and see if there is power coming to the wires if not. If there is power to it then what else can be the problem? The timer? Maybe? Unfortunately the dryer is not at my house and my computer is at my house so have go there to check it out.

#15 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

If the wiring and outlet are correct i would check for shorted timer contacts, should be a chart on the wiring sheet that shows what pins to test

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I've had a few washers and dryers where the timer was so shorted out it would blow the house circuit breaker.

Scott Wolf

#17 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

You should actually measure all those legs with a meter, do not rely on "color to color" meaning it is right - 2 120v circuits and a 240v circuit are required as shown in previous post

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#18 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

You might check for a short in wiring circuit to bulb. Sounds like you have a short somewhere.

I've had a few washers and dryers where the timer was so shorted out it would blow the house circuit breaker.

If the wiring and outlet are correct i would check for shorted timer contacts, should be a chart on the wiring sheet that shows what pins to test

Test

#19 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:19 AM

Verify voltages with a meter, inside the recepticle and at the terminal block. Then, use the meter and check all the timer contacts as per the tech sheet. You can track down shorts by disconnecting components, then powering up machine to see what circuits/components you can focus on. A detailed visual inspection of the entire wire harness checking for pinched wires, rubbed through insulation, burn marks. You got to just start from the beginning, measure/test everything, and do not trust anything you or anyone else has done prior to now. If it's been worked on this much, something could be hooked up wrong. Trust nothing, test everything.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#20 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Also you keep saying the thermal protector makes a noise?

The only noise that I know of that a thermal protector can make is a click when it opens and usually with the dryer running you don't hear it over the other  noises.

So, are you sure it's the thermal overload in the motor making the said noise?

Can you make a recording of the noise?

If the motor won't start but just makes a light to loud buzzing noise when pushing the start button but never turns over then the overload trips that means something is happening when under load and it's not actually the thermal overload making the noise until it clicks and opens.  The buzzing would be the motor trying to start without the full voltage that it needs.

You need to connect your meter leads to the terminal block at the power cord input on the neutral and the black, (which should be the 110 volt leg for the motor), with the meter connected you should be reading 110-120 volts then push the start button while watching the meter reading.  If the meter reading drops way down low and doesn't stay at around the 110 volt level at least, then you have a wiring problem in your house at the circuit box, dropped/bad neutral connection most likely.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 18 January 2013 - 09:04 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics