Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LSQ9544KQ0 makes noise while agitating/spinning

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Vincent

Greg Vincent

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hello, I come seeking help from the gurus of appliantology. Our Whirlpool washer started making a funny noise this week. This is the exact noise (not my video):

The video has a comment that is totally useless (and profane).

I did the "hand test" and I was able to stop it easily so I replaced the clutch. Still making the same noise.

We bought this washer used about a year ago and had to replace the drive dogs at that time. Since then it has been used almost daily, a couple of loads a day (family of five). It has been a workhorse.

I am wondering if it is the transmission or the motor couplers - there was almost no oil around the transmission. There was a little on the clutch assembly but not a huge amount.

What else should I check/replace? Thanks for your help with this problem!

Greg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

It's the motor coupler.  Come get you a new one. http://www.repaircli...285753A/1195967

Scott Wolf

#3 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,111 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I think it's the pump. You can take off the cabinet, jump out the lid switch, and unclip the pump. Try it with the pump on and off to see if the noise is there. If so, check inside for foriegn object...my vote would be a bra wire. If no object is found, replace the pump.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#4 Greg Vincent

Greg Vincent

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Nick, I assume I would only replace the pump if 1. the noise is not present with the pump removed and 2. no foreign object is found. Does the pump run during the wash cycle?

If I remove the pump and still hear the noise, would that point to the motor coupler?

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

yes, if you run the machine with the pump off the motor, and it still makes the noise, it's the coupler.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 17 January 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Scott Wolf

#6 Greg Vincent

Greg Vincent

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks so much for the responses.

I think I figured the pump thing out - it's connected directly to the motor, so it turns whenever the motor turns. But during agitation, it constantly reverses direction, so it doesn't actually pump anything; however, a foreign object in it would still make noise.

I have a couple more questions.

1. How important are the "lint filters" - the little round black inserts in the bottom of the inner drum? Although my washer has four holes, only two of them have the filters.

2. How much grease should be around the top of the drive shaft?

I had another question that I can't remember, will post if it comes to me.

Greg

Edited by Greg Vincent, 17 January 2013 - 01:27 PM.

#7 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

... But during agitation, it constantly reverses direction,
1. How important are the "lint filters" - the little round black inserts in the bottom of the inner drum?
2. How much grease should be around the top of the drive shaft?

Motor continuously turns in one direction during Spin
and continuously turns in the other direction for Agitate
(Transmission does the Agitate)

1) Filters not needed

2) ? ?  .. pictures ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#8 Greg Vincent

Greg Vincent

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Nick 1, Scott 0.

When I ran it without the pump the noise was gone. I couldn't find anything in it, so it will be replaced. I visually checked the motor coupler since the washer was already apart, and it looks fine.

Don't worry about the grease for now. I have two other questions:

1. What is the best way to clean the upper agitator? There is a black stain or residue on it.

2. There is also a mildew smell in the washer. How do I get that out, and is there a way to prevent it other than leaving the washer open after each use?

Thanks!

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Drain pump part link ==> http://www.repaircli...mber=LSQ9544KQ0

Drain-Pump-3363394-00554734.jpg

Agimutator comes apart, this video shows how:

#10 jb8103

jb8103

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger ale

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

You can use a washing machine cleaner to address the mildew smell. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the basket and clean out the half-inch thick layer of lint and detergent that is rotting away under there, on the bottom of the tub.

First, do no harm.

#11 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,388 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

You remove the cabinet, then the splash ring.....................You can leave the spin basket in................Fill with hot water, use powder detergent and a  pad ( those green ones )......Sprinkle the detergent on the pad and scrub " The Scrung Ring " away on both, the  basket and tub............Reassemble and drain .....................................Some one said they used a toilet brush,  will  get the " The Ring " off of both the spin basket and tub at the same time................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics