Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

mrjtwright

GE PSC23MGMB BB Refrigerator compressor not starting

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have an issue with a GE Refrigerator that has a compressor that won't start.  It began as an intermediate problem but now won't seem to fire up at all.  Both fans are running, I don't hear any clicking coming from either the motherboard or the start relay.  Resistance of the compressor is 4.8/4.8 & 9.6 (perfect by my understanding).  There is voltage at the relay but I only Read 48 VAC between Start and common and 48 VAC between Run and common wires.  Oh yeah, relay passes the shake test also. Don't know how to test the overload.  I'm assuming muthaboard since only 48 VAC being delivered but wanted some pro opinion on the matter.

TIA

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Pull the motherboard and look for burned solder joint on compressor relay...it will be pretty obvious...

Had to look twice on this one.  Very slight blemish but apparently enough to cause intermittent issues.  Thanks for the help.  I know this relay burn is common on these boards but what is the failure when the ice dispenser quits, lights dim & evap fan peters out? is that also related to the relay burn?

Edited by mrjtwright

I have had issues in the past where, Evap fan would putter out or slow down and speed up, linked to the board in the past. I haven't seen a GE fridge in a while though.

DC power supply on the board is crapping the bed...

DC power supply on the board is crapping the bed...

Reminds me of a comic book I used to read...

tales-from-crap.jpg

Reminds me of a comic book I used to read...

tales-from-crap.jpg

Is that a GE Service Manual ?