Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore (Whirlpool) 70 Series Dryer Squealing

Kenmore Dryer Dryer Squeal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fcrawley

fcrawley

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm trying to correct an intermittent squeal on my Kenmore 70 Series Dryer 110.66722690. I replaced the element, thermal switches, fuse and rear drum seal last fall and it's been working great since. This week it developed a high pitch squeal so I opened it up and cleaned the drum rollers and belt idler roller. They all spin freely without bearing play. The motor itself turns, but not super freely, but I did not remove it to do this so the blower was still attached. It spins more freely one direction than the other. Before I remove the motor, should I look in the back at the element for looseness or at the blower wheel? I wanted to do as much from the front as I can as it's a pain to get to the back due to the tight space and difficulty of reconnecting the vent afterwards. Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'm trying to correct an intermittent squeal on my Kenmore 70 Series Dryer 110.66722690. I replaced the element, thermal switches, fuse and rear drum seal last fall and it's been working great since. This week it developed a high pitch squeal so I opened it up and cleaned the drum rollers and belt idler roller. They all spin freely without bearing play. The motor itself turns, but not super freely, but I did not remove it to do this so the blower was still attached. It spins more freely one direction than the other. Before I remove the motor, should I look in the back at the element for looseness or at the blower wheel? I wanted to do as much from the front as I can as it's a pain to get to the back due to the tight space and difficulty of reconnecting the vent afterwards. Thanks.

When you say intermittent, I assume the squeal comes and goes, but, consistent in that it occurs with each load? If so, you could put a drop of oil on rollers to see if it happens the next load or sounds at least less. If it quiets down then you might want to start thinking about which you want to replace, if not all.
If the motor doesn't turn freely in both directions (should turn smoothly in both directions) the bearings are shot. Time for a new motor.
This is based on assuming your sure the felts, or, bearings are good on the drum, an no surfaces on the drum are rubbing metal to metal with chassis.

Edited by tpoindexter, 18 January 2013 - 10:08 PM.

Test

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I'm trying to correct an intermittent squeal

post YouTube video ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

This is one of those situations where I like to "introduce stress" on the dryer to attempt to make the noise more apparent for location purposes. Normally, "over loading" the dryer--say with a wet blanket, just larger than the capacity of the dryer--will overwork the dryer long enough to reveal the problem. With the overload, the bearings in the motor get hotter quicker and a potentially glazed belt or idler pulley get the maximum workout.

#5 fcrawley

fcrawley

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

I did lube the rollers and the idler roller very lightly and it went away for a while then came back. The motor with the belt disconnected but still installed with the blower on it turns more freely in one direction than the other. The rollers do not wobble or anything and spin very freely. Right now with the age of the unit I'm looking at replacing the motor, blower wheel, belt, idler and rollers as well as pull out the element and make sure that the connections to the housing are tight and that it's not it squeaking. The front drum bearing and felt are in great shape and I replaced the rear drum seal last fall and it's still in great shape.

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I did lube the rollers and the idler roller very lightly and it went away for a while then came back....

The motor with the belt disconnected but still installed with the blower on it turns more freely in one direction than the other. The rollers do not wobble or anything and spin very freely. Right now with the age of the unit I'm looking at replacing the motor, blower wheel, belt, idler and rollers.......

If is went away after lubing for a short time then replace these parts.

Maintenance-Kit-4392065-01168904.jpg

http://www.repaircli.../4392065/587636

If the motor isn't turning freely (should turn freely), and your thinking to replace it anyway.

Drive-Motor-279827-01191725.jpg

http://www.repaircli...913-Motor-Parts

Edited by tpoindexter, 19 January 2013 - 09:13 PM.

Test

#7 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Before the money is spent,  Remove the lint filter, remove the two screws........Remove the back panel..........Look to the left, there is the lint chute, remove the fasteners at the bottom, tip the unit forwards a bit and remove the chute.....Look for any thing that was rubbing on the blower... Bra stay......nail.............If you did not find anything, you can clean it anyway......

#8 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Squeals come from idler & rollers, lubricating is useless , not recomended & will cause further damage.  Wipe clean the roller studs from all debriss when you replace the kit mentioned above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics