Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag washer model# MAH6500AWW is leaking water from the top of the drum after the wash cycle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tommy3sons

tommy3sons

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

Im trying to fix my pastors broken washing machine. Its a Maytag Model# MAH6500AWW that at the end of the wash cycle still has traces of water raining down from the top of the drum assembly. And it leaves about 1.5 inches of water in the bottom. Can somebody suggest what to do next please?  I've taken the main pump assembly apart to check for obstructions and its clear.  And reinstalled it.  Then I flipped the top up to see if anything might be causing the problem from the topside.  Since this is my first time to attempt repairing a washer I need some good advice.  I think that it might be the water inlet valve that is attached to the fabric softener that might be stuck in the open position therefore allowing a small bit of water to "rain" into the drum housing assembly and eventually settling in the bottom.   Any suggestions?  

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

... it leaves about 1.5 inches of water in the bottom. 
...  I think that it might be the water inlet valve

1) If set to Spin, will all of the remaining water drain out ?

2) after it's empty, when you return in a few hours, or the next day, is there more water in the Drum ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Following Grand Masters Funk's lead:

If water won't drain out on spin, suspect drain pump issues

If you find water after time--hours to weeks--suspect water inlet valve being held open by potential hardness in the water.

#4 tommy3sons

tommy3sons

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Well thanks for the reply...just heard from the owner and she is besides herself with anger.  She tried to do a simple load of wash on the normal cycle and nothing out of the ordinary about it.  When the load was done (43 minutes) she opened the washer and the whole thing was filled with water.(Arrrgh) and it came pouring out all over the place.  She put it on "Spin" and it pumped all the water out.  So she slammed the door shut in disgust.  

She came back to it in 15 minutes and tried to do a smaller load like 12 minutes.  So here is what happened with the second trial: Now she said that the quick cycle just ended and that water is still flowing out of the top area where the fabric softener / detergent is supposed to go. And when she opens the door, there is still water puddled in the bottom of the drum and water is "raining down" inside from the top of the drum.  NOT from the tiny holes on the inside of the drum.  Does this make any sense? Shes gonna try another spin cycle to see if she can get the water to evacuate the drum.  I'm baffled...  what could be causing this thing to be such a beast?  I need some serious help from you wise ones out there to get this thing to stop.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated by both myself and my Pastors wife and family 

#5 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Sure enough sounds like a water valve issue, once it gets flowing it fails to reseat - looks like there is a main water inlet as well as a dispenser valve. Most likely issue is with main valve, but anything is possible - when it gets in this filling/sprinkling mode unplug the washer and see if it continues to fill.

Link to Main Valve:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH6500AWW

Water-Inlet-Valve-22003834-00905438.jpg

Link to Dispenser Valve:  http://www.repaircli...mber=MAH6500AWW

Water-Inlet-Valve-12001930-00986234.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#6 tommy3sons

tommy3sons

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the post.  I'm wondering if there is anyway that I can test each valve with a multitester to determine which one needs to be replaced.  Can someone post a link or something.  Thank you in advance 

#7 dimitri77565

dimitri77565

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Railean Hand Made Rum

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

It should be a dual valve, but normaly its the cold water side.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the post.  I'm wondering if there is anyway that I can test each valve with a multitester to determine which one needs to be replaced.  Can someone post a link or something.  Thank you in advance 

Pull the hoses off inside at the valves and see which one is leaking.

Test

#9 tommy3sons

tommy3sons

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info.  Im gonna try that and hopefully put this thing to bed so to speak.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics