Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool PIG # wtw4850xq0 a real mess

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ale

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Pig died real angry. After diagnostics I turned it on side to find belt cover destroyed, belt destroyed, shift actuator destroyed, agitator pulley stripped/destroyed, plastic motor drive pulley destroyed. With limited funds I replaced all including new imotor drive that came with metal pulley. (They knew about this sorry-ass engineered motor drive early-on but I'm screwed cause I'm 5 weeks out of warranty)

Fired it up with a regular wash to find everything normal till the rinse cycle. Rinse cycle starts filling then stops filling after 15-20 sec and goes straight to spin cycle. It does this with all the wash cycles EXCEPT the rinse&drain cycle which works normal (fills, agitates, drains)

I've recalibrated, ran auto test and fault/error code test 5-6 times all are normal. Unsure where to look for prob...wiring, harnesses, main control board, maybe new actuator is bad, optical sensor? I'll explore any and all ideas. WP engineers=Mickey Mouse.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

any Error Codes ?

http://appliantology...raining-manual/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

No error codes

#4 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

When a major breakdown occurs and then a different (new) problem occurs after the fix, first recheck your work. Second, because the problem is not being "sensed" with an error code, I would check the wiring harness and connectors. Remember that the main control cannot sense the error unless it is indicated by a signal. The lack of signal--voltage, resistance, etc--may indicate the problem--indirectly-- when an error code is not registered on the control board.

#5 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Will check wiring. ..let you know results

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

depending what settings you have it set too it is working normaly, these washers dont always do a full fill rinse, what you are describing could be a spray rinse

#7 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Have it on Regular wash setting which is full rinse not spray rinse...it completes WASH then starts RINSE filling then stops after 10-15 secs then skips directly to SPIN cycle...LED RINSE light does not come on...LED'S go from WASH to SPIN

#8 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

SH2 SH2 "Have it on Regular wash setting which is full rinse not spray rinse" My bad...REGULAR WASH is spray rinse...I'm guilty of not RTFM. However, problem remains RINSE cycle is completely skipped. BTW does SH2 happen to stand for SIlent Hunter 2 ?

#9 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

i knew the normal cycle used a spray rinse but i did not want to argue, as far as your problem i am at a loss, have worked on a lot of these and never seen this problem. and no im not silent hunter

#10 dcvh

dcvh

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks SH I haven't got to testing wiring and harnesses yet Removing these harnesses is nightmare. Depressing release tabs with my fingers does not work. It takes putty knife/screw driver 10 min each and lotsa luck. (More brilliant WP engineering). Any suggestions?

#11 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Try a 1/4" drive socket, like maybe 3/16", and push it on the back side to compress the tabs on the harness retainers. Try other sockets to get the size right.

Did you try the test that allows you to see if the basket position sensor is working? I've worked on over a 100 of these things and never seen your current problem. It's not siphoning out the drain is it?

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics