Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Dual Wave III - Caught on Fire

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I don't have a good guess as to what might have caused this.  The microwave has a removable metal rack held by 4 clips, 2 on each interior side wall.  During use this evening, one of the clips caught on fire.  My wife was running it at the time.  She didn't say there were any sparks.  She said she heated some food and the plastic on one clip had started to turn black.  She took the food out and ran it again to have a look through the door, and it caught fire.

Any ideas what could cause that?? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

I can't say why it was starting to turn black. I do know your not suppose to run the microwave without a load (something to absorb the energy). Chipped paint can cause problems or sharp metal ends.

Does the rack have sharp or chipped area near plastic clip?

Any chipped paint inside the oven?

What part (location) of the microwave caught fire?

Was it making any rattling, buzzing, or other unusual noise just before this occurred?

Edited by tpoindexter, 21 January 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Test

#3 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I talked to my wife again and here's her full story:

She was heating up some food.  When she pulled it out, she smelled burnt plastic and noticed the clip was black, but she hadn't been looking in the microwave while heating, so she didn't see it happen.  She removed the food and ran it for a few seconds while looking through the door.  During that time (about 5 seconds) either the clip or the rack began sparking and the clip caught on fire.

To answer your questions:

-There's no way to tell now if the rack was damaged at the clip, because it is now charred, and any damage that I will find by cleaning it might have happened during this event.  But... the rest of the rack looks to be in great condition.  There is no wear at any of the other clips.  The only imperfection I can see is a some wear at one corner of the rack (the opposite corner from where the fire occured.) The sharpest edges are the ends of the rack wires, which appear to be in factory condition, and they run from front to back of the microwave, so the ends are not near the clips, which are on the side walls.

-It is a somewhat old appliance, and there is some wear to the interior paint, possibly from the use of abbrasive cleaners.  A spot that stands out as exemplifying that is where some sheet metal bends meet, and there is a scuff about the size of the end of a pencil eraser.  I haven't spotted any interior rust, chips, or sharp edges.

-The part that actually caught fire is the plastic body of the clip.  There are 4 clips, 2 on each side wall.  The affected clip is the rear one on the left side.

-My wife didn't mention any noises or rattling.  Just sparks, fire, and then smoke.

I wonder if this is a case where we can just remove the rack and clips and keep on truckin'.  Is this a sign that there might be something mechanically or electrically wrong with the appliance, or is it just as likely that it has solely to do with the parts that actually caught fire?

#4 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I believe your magnetron is arching to something, or itself is going bad. I personally wouldn't trust it until repaired.

But if you replace the magnetron and have any missing pait or sharp edges that aren't factory you'll end back up in the same boat.

Edited by tpoindexter, 21 January 2013 - 06:16 PM.

Test

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

What's your model number?

Test

#6 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I'll have to check the model no. when I get home from work. 

Regarding your second post and the magnetron, is it the general case that worn paint and sharp edges put a greater load on the magnetron, thus leading to death?  Or is there another reason that a new magnatron in a worn microwave leaves me back in the same boat?

#7 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Regarding your second post and the magnetron, is it the general case that worn paint and sharp edges put a greater load on the magnetron...

, thus leading to death? 

Or is there another reason that a new magnatron in a worn microwave leaves me back in the same boat?

Yes, bare metal and sharp edges cause the magnetron to arc which can cause fires such as you've experience, or, the magnetron could have just cracked and started arching....

Not sure about that...

If you have bare metal that caused the arching then it will still happen with a new Magnetron. There is a special paint you can buy (white, or Ivory only) to reseal the metal.

Since I can't see it you might try the paint first and see if it still sparks. If it does then the magnetron may have a hairline crack in magnet or elsewhere.

Maybe one of the Pros on here might have another answer or more info, but, that's about the extent of my knowledge.

index_img_01.gif

Edited by tpoindexter, 21 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

Test

#8 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Okay, so the model no. is J E1456KWH 02. Mf'd Oct 1992.

Given the age of it, I'm inclined to replace, if the bandaid repair isn't going up be as simple as running without the rack. And after having a better look at it, there are several more spots where the paint has worn through. It looks like someone was in the habit of slamming the rack against the back wall, and it took a toll on the paint.

It's been a long time since I've had to buy a microwave, and this one is a wall-mount. Any idea what took look for and what to avoid in a new model? If I have an idea what I have to spend to not get a P.O.S., I can make a more informed decision about how much effort to put into keeping this one alive.

#9 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

Just locally where I live in Oklahoma.

Test

#10 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yep probably time for a new one.

Magnetron-WB27X10249-00583621.jpg

http://www.repaircli...ber=JE1456KWH02

Shelf-Support-WB06X10140-00554105.jpg

http://www.repaircli...ber=JE1456KWH02

Spray-Paint-WB64X5022-00874348.jpg

http://www.repaircli...B64X5022/266123

Edited by tpoindexter, 22 January 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Test

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

I really doubt you have any problem with the mag tube.

The root cause of a problem like this is usually from not keeping the nooks and crevices clean.

Food splatter builds up and every time the unit is used this remaining matter is cooked more and more which changes it to charcoal which will attract the microwave energy to them causing the hot spots and eventual fire.

A good cleaning of the rack and replacing the burnt rack clip and full cleaning of the microwave interior will usually solve your problem.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Budget may be right.

Did you try running it without the rack?

If so, any noises or sparks?

Edited by tpoindexter, 22 January 2013 - 10:57 AM.

Test

#13 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I'm torn, if the paint is worn down, like you can see bare metal, or chippin in the paint, I'd pait the cavity and test it first, then decide if it's still sparking I'd replace the magtube.

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#14 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Alright, it took me a few days to find the time to take pics and post again.  Here's the microwave, generally pretty clean, no charcoal:

photo1_zpsdeb59934.jpg

Here's the clip that caught fire (rear left).  You can also see where the rack has rubbed the paint raw on the back wall.  The clips don't really let the rack go back that far, so someone probably did a lot of fumbling when taking it in and out.

photo2_zps4d6a2775.jpg

Here's the other rear clip, and you can see the same wear.

photo3_zps83a22504.jpg

#15 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

To answer an earlier question, I ran it without the rack, and the clip started sparking within 2 or 3 seconds.  I did not run it long enough to listen for strange noises.

I had been pondering whether it would be worth trying to repair vs. replace, then I lifted up the glass plate and saw this:

photo4_zpsf7dbd26a.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's time for a new one.

#16 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

This is a built it microwave:

photo_zps52bfcbfc.jpg

So, of course, I've been looking at prices for built-ins.  :yikes:

It has me wondering about using a countertop unit in that space.  I saw a technical or service bulletin from Sears about trim kits for countertop models to serve as built-ins.  With the better selection and prices of countertop models, I'd like to know how many of them can be used that way.

#17 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

Okay, now I see.  If you price built-in microwaves, you'll soon start asking yourself whether you really needed a microwave to begin with.  But then you change your search terms to include countertop microwaves with optional trim kits, then things start to get more reasonable.

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

good website with models, dimensions, options, multiple-choices drop-down-boxes, etc

http://www.ajmadison.com/

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#19 GoodFerNuthin

GoodFerNuthin

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks.  Yeah, that's the website where I noticed the "Optional Built-in Trim Kit" search filter on the countertop models and had my "Aha!" moment.  I have some more digging to do there. 

They don't seem to be carried on that website, but I've noticed that Panasonic has trim kits, too.  Of course, I don't know if the microwaves are any good.

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

I would stay away if they are "inverter" M/W's ..

model numbers ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics