Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Precautionary Tale -- Clean your dryer vent

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 admranger

admranger

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maisel's Alkohol Frei Weisse Beire

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I had the air ducts in the house cleaned (bad allergies) and part of the service was to clean the dryer vent out.  I'm thinking:  "bah, I clean that out once a year and make sure there is no build up..."

My dryer vents straight up through the roof of my single story house.  It's a 14' run straight up.  Odd configuration and one I now strongly don't recommend.

Anyway, the guy gets up on the roof with his long brush and starts going to work running it up and down.  I live in Vegas and yet it looked like a Minnesota blizzard around my house.  Big chunks of lint and lots of lint dust flying all over the place as the technician did his thing.  I'd estimate a half-pound of lint total (that's a lot!).

So I dodged a bullet there with that amount of build up.  I have added regular dryer vent cleaning by a professional to my house maintenance list.

Hopefully, this will help others avoid a big problem.  Get your dryer vents cleaned please!

Kirk
Las Vegas

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Comstock_Services

Comstock_Services

Wine is fine but Whiskey is quicker

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Tito's Vodka,Shiner Blonde, Shiner Bock

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Should be a Sticky

Insert smart ass remark here____

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

http://www.mrappliance.com/coastalbend

#3 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Should be a Sticky

Done

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Convenient dryer vent cleaning kit ==> http://www.repaircli.../RLE202/1154681

zenzoidman_VentCleaningBrushRLE202010137

See the January 2013 issue of the Appliantology newsletter for more info and goodies ==> http://ymlp.com/zKmyff

#5 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

vent_zps336828d4.jpg Slight airflow problem.

Edited by bayouboy, 23 March 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Great pic, bayou!

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

vent_zps336828d4.jpg Slight airflow problem.

ya think? Lol
Complaint was dryer kept blowing thermal fuses. We had previously asked  about venting and he said it was good. When we went to the house he quietly said "oh yeah, a couple of bats live in the vent." His thinking was that if the bats could come and go, the vent couldn't be blocked. 

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

My dryer vent in the garage enters wall near middle of house, 90's up at wall, runs 13', 2 - 45's move it  over 8", continues another 10+ feet up & out roof 2' from ridgebeam.  4" PVC pipe open at top where rain would run down straight to dryer. 

What were the builders thinking?   I put vent cap on top piping & clean it out twice a year.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#9 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

can you re-locate the Dryer to an outside wall of the garage ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#10 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Wish I could,  but momma likes it where it is, Right outside the kitchen door to garage, in its own little wash area cubby.   She would like for me to orientate the door to hinge on other side.  :rolleyes:  besides I would have to knock a hole in the brick wall.

Edited by Patricio, 24 March 2013 - 04:51 PM.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#11 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Lint fire inside gas dryer. Dryer duct clogged with wet lent approx. 18' run.

gasdryer_zps4d4ac23c.jpg

gasdryer2_zps827af2a1.jpg

#12 Robin the Hood

Robin the Hood

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Great point! Hubby did ours yesterday - first time in about 2 years...
"If you want your tree to produce plenty o' fruit, you've got to cut it back from time to time. Same thing with your neural cells. Some people might call it brain damage. I call it prunin'".

#13 SlopDaddy

SlopDaddy

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Ever use one of these? 

Vent Testing Kit 8522199

http://www.repaircli.../8522199/831650

#14 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Just cleaned a vent on Friday for an older couple.  It was a short run and not to dirty.  They were concerned about a fire in the dryer and asked how many I had seen.  I don't fully understand how the fires happen because I have cleaned vent's that I removed an entire shopping bag full of lint and the dryer didn't catch on fire.  I make it a point to vacuum and service each dryer I repair to help prevent fires and futures issues.  Are fire's more prominent in gas dryer's from clogged vent's?

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,722 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Just cleaned a vent on Friday for an older couple. It was a short run and not to dirty. They were concerned about a fire in the dryer and asked how many I had seen. I don't fully understand how the fires happen because I have cleaned vent's that I removed an entire shopping bag full of lint and the dryer didn't catch on fire. I make it a point to vacuum and service each dryer I repair to help prevent fires and futures issues. Are fire's more prominent in gas dryer's from clogged vent's?

Have you taken apart a dryer that has a block vent? Lint that builds up in a dryer can eventually be ignited by the element. You have a very flammable material (lint) and an open heat source (element). You don't have ignition every time. As a matter of fact, you don't have ignition the vast majority of times. But who would knowingly take that risk? It is incumbent upon a tech to understand and likewise advise his customers of the potential hazards a dryer imposes.

check out the video in the following post.... look at the charred lint we removed from several electric dryers in the span of one week... http://appliantology...pliantologists/

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#16 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:31 AM

My worst dryer vent cleaning ever was an apartment building where the maintenance drunks had installed the exterior vent housing UPSIDE DOWN.  So all the rain mixed with the grass clippings that floated into the vent during mowing and created an adobe mixture with the lint.  There was so much lint in the dryer it was coating the heating element itself. I am not sure how this thing did not catch on fire. 

If the dryer vents to the roof, I tell the customer I don't have a ladder and that they need to have the vent cleaned by someone who specializes in that. The Home Depot dryer vent cleaning kits usually aren't long enough for that situation anyhow. 

#17 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

This was an actual call I went on..............

310979_153283831513252_1515430413_n_zps3

#18 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

My client had multiple fires going on inside his dryer because of this stuff. It was so bad he even melted his wire harness. Make sure you open up your dryer and clean in there too because you're going to have a ton of lint around your burner. If your dryer is a gas-operated one the danger is that much more.

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

#19 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:28 AM

This is a gas dryer in action, with a clogged dryer vent, ie bad airflow.  This is a fire hazard.

Same dryer, 30 minutes later.  Good airflow.  Not so much of a hazard.

#20 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Yeah, hi-limit was kicking off the heat circuit.

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics