Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Precautionary Tale -- Clean your dryer vent

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, hi-limit was kicking off the heat circuit.

Yes, but as you can see the flames still managed to get outside of the containment can.  The lint in that area had ignited, and burnt lint was found in other areas of that dryer.  With proper venting and proper dryer placement in the home, you can reduce needed maintenance.  Best case scenario, the laundry room would be built on an outside wall of the home, with the vent exiting said wall.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:40 PM

Had one today, the vent was so clogged that no air was coming out of the vent hood.

Scott Wolf

#23 dave316

dave316

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:jack and coke

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Fire spreads fast it's evil!

#24 madbrad

madbrad

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

Last week I cleared a bird's nest out of my in-laws' dryer vent pipe. It's horizontal for about 17 feet. It's in the floor of the second floor. The hood out on the brick wall decayed from UV rays from the sunlight and broke apart, allowing the robins in. The nest ran pretty much the length of the pipe. I ran the dryer and poked in there dislodging things and it blew out bit by bit. Sorry about the eggs that came out and fell about 12' to their demise. The builder(5 year old townhouse) did a terrible job connecting the hood's bit of pipe to the duct they ran to it. Sleeved together backward(Hood's pipe inside duct) for the airflow direction, and the end of the hood's pipe was dented in enough to catch a lot of stuff. It was pretty much packed. the birds must have loved the warmth. So new it has a better hood, installed correctly.

When I was initially up the ladder investigating, a neighbour told me she'd seen birds going in and out. Oddly, she said they aren't hurting anything. She must've thought I knew about the birds and my purpose there was to attack birds and she objected. I'm guessing that.

Not hurting anything???? True if you don't count burning the house down as hurting something!

There's no problem too big to ignore if you put your mind to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics