Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch SHE43f16UC won't drain

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

My dishwasher (installed and functioning for ~3 years now) had water standing after the last wash cycle, and it made a loud humming/grinding noise during the end of the cycle.

I emptied the dishwasher of dishes, removed the filter basket near the drain pump (it was clean), started a new cycle with no dishes.  It continued to make that humming/grinding sound and wouldn't pull the water out.  Checked the lines to the sink and they were all clear

I used a shop vac to get the water out and then tried again to start the dishwasher, same results.  Followed the video on how to remove the drain pump and measured continuity and it was good.  Plugged back in the wire-harness and turned on the breaker (with the drain pump sitting out of the machine) and the impeller fired right up and spins fine, but is making that humming/grinding noise.

Other than ordering a new pump, anything to look at first?

Attached is a video of the pump running while outside of the dishwasher when i start the dishwasher.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Order it up and check video in link:

http://www.repaircli.../642239/1387293

Drain-Pump-642239-01067014.jpg

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#3 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

After further inspection, there is water in the armature and my drain line connected to the sink is not looped up to prevent drain-back from the sink (DIY install 3 years ago of the dishwasher).  

New pump ordered.  Will also fix the drain line positioning.  Lesson learned.   :thumbsup:

#4 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Now I'm confused.  I've received the part and straight out of the box, it too has liquid on the armature (the circled region on picture below) just like the one I took out of the dishwasher.  Both do.

Is that in fact normal?  Or did my replacement one come with issues?

2013-01-31_18-21-09.png

Edited by harringg, 31 January 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I believe that's oil in there. A motor still needs lubrication.

Scott Wolf

#6 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

So then my original part was not "water-logged" as I thought?  The drain hose from the sink, should be properly looped higher, but that's likely not water in that part of the pump?

#7 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

I replaced the pump with a new one, ran a quick wash (no dishes in there) and opened the door and there was hot water sitting in the bottom of the tub at the end of the cycle.

http://www.repaircli.../642239/1387293

Next suggestion?  :-)

Also, it's still "humming" like before, even though the cycle is done AND the door is open.  Will cut power at the circuit until I can isolate the next thing to check.

Edited by harringg, 01 February 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#8 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sounds like you have a stuck float. It may think it's flooding.

It wasn't understood from the last post that it was running when turned off.

Edited by tpoindexter, 01 February 2013 - 09:47 PM.

Test

#9 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

Use your amp meter on every wire to determine which wire(component) has amperage causing the hum when the machine is off.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

Topics merged.  Please do not start a new topic for the same or continuing problem-- makes it difficult for others to follow the progression and potentially offer assistance.  

#11 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for merging them.  Since it was marked answered (and at the time it appeared to be), I wasn't sure if the thread was still "active".

So, as mentioned above, I've got a new pump motor, and still have the same issues.  I've pulled the washer out, the pressure chamber assembly is clear (no obstructions), and I've tested the float switch and it's fine.  Common to Closed has continuity, and Common to Open has continuity when the blue activator switch is pressed and held.  And no continuity when released.

I see a replacement part for the float, but can't find it on the dishwasher.  So not sure if that's stuck to check my issues.

While I still hasn't solved my issues, the how to videos on this site are very good at their instructions to at least get me to this point and ruling out what the issue isn't.

To the earlier poster, the "humming" is the pump motor running (always on) even though it won't drain the water.

Maybe the float itself is the issue, but I can't seem to find where it's located.

#12 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Would this part be something to look at?  There is standing water below the red lines I've drawn and standing water in the water line from the sink to the middle hose.  Which very well may be normal, I don't know.

Also, I did find the float and it's armature, and both are "working", no standing water near the float and the armature moves freely.

Since most of the obvious options have been ruled out, it may be time to return the pump, and to call in a repair tech.

Any last minute things that would be worth looking at before resorting to that?

2013-02-03_15-40-02.png

#13 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Use your amp meter on every wire to determine which wire(component) has amperage causing the hum when the machine is off.

Test

#14 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

To clarify, even though i've determined the "humming" is actually just the drain pump running "all the time", I should still test wiring?  I'm willing to try that, but not clear on how to do that.

With the dishwasher pulled out from under the cabinet the 120V wires don't reach to power it on, when it's in place under the counter and wired up to the power main, which wires should I be testing?

#15 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I mentioned the float because you said it was running even when you had the pump out and no water in it.

But, you have a pump that for whatever reason can't pump the water out even with a new pump.

These seem like different issues to me.

1) makes me think a clog, or valve

2) makes me think a electrical issue

Jumptrot is the pro. I'm just as confused at this point as you.

Test

#16 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Did you just have a garbage disposal recently installed?  Is your drain line possibly frozen? 

Scott Wolf

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Would this part be something to look at?  There is standing water below the red lines I've drawn and standing water in the water line from the sink to the middle hose.  Which very well may be normal, I don't know.

Also, I did find the float and it's armature, and both are "working", no standing water near the float and the armature moves freely.

Since most of the obvious options have been ruled out, it may be time to return the pump, and to call in a repair tech.

Any last minute things that would be worth looking at before resorting to that?

2013-02-03_15-40-02.png

Your punchlist, please respond explicitly to each:

- In front of this assembly should be the float assembly with a gray plunger and red piston.  Move the gray plunger up and down a few times to make sure it isn't stuck in the up (flooded) position.  

- Make sure the basin under the dishwasher is actually bone dry.  

- Check to see if the styrofoam float and arm assembly in the basin is hung up, stuck, impaired, not moving freely, etc.  

- Remove the drain hose from the drain pump and blow through it.  Should clear and initial slug of water and then it should blow free.  

#18 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Your punchlist, please respond explicitly to each:

- In front of this assembly should be the float assembly with a gray plunger and red piston.  Move the gray plunger up and down a few times to make sure it isn't stuck in the up (flooded) position.  

- Make sure the basin under the dishwasher is actually bone dry.  

- Check to see if the styrofoam float and arm assembly in the basin is hung up, stuck, impaired, not moving freely, etc.  

- Remove the drain hose from the drain pump and blow through it.  Should clear and initial slug of water and then it should blow free.  

1. it moves freely, up and down, and when moving it up, I hear it clicking the switch assembly

2. Completely dry to the touch, no standing water of any kind.  There is a small water stain, but it's been there for awhile

3. Float is intact and when moving the grey armature, it moves the red piston freely

4. No plugs in the line from the drain pump to the assembly unit with the switch

I've got everything back together, and made the mistake of removing the screws from the terminal block where the wiring connects.  They are loose now and won't hold the wires securely and will have to buy a new terminal block tomorrow.

Will report back with results after it's got power again.

#19 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

4. No plugs in the line from the drain pump to the assembly unit with the switch

Wrong direction.  I wanted you to go from the drain pump to the discharge: disposal, drain pipe, whatever it is in your configuration. 

#20 harringg

harringg

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Sump connection under sink to back of dishwasher was empty of water.

Where the line connects to the back of the dishwasher (removed white square clip that held it in place) that line connects to the image in post #17, leftmost tube, and that's empty of water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics