Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Samsung Refrigerator RB2155SH XAA shuts down every 6 hours

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hello everyone,

My client's Samsung fridge (FF compartment top, Freezer bottom) shuts down every "6 hours" and will not power back up until he unplugs it from the wall and plugs it back in. Then he's good for another 6 hours. When the unit turns off the displayed temperatures rise.

I went over yesterday and originally diagnosed an intermittent relay/overload kit, because, when I powered down the unit and powered it back up (after waiting 30 seconds) the compressor fluttered and shut off. Disassembling and reassembling the relay/overload kit seemed to fix that since I reseated all the connections. But, today my client calls back with the same issue.

While I was there yesterday I checked for error codes and found none and also manually ran both defrost modes since I thought it possible that when the compressor powers down for defrost it may not be powering back up when defrost terminates.

I also noticed the fan in the FF compartment is pulsing, starts and stops, starts and stops. However, the fan in the freezer compartment runs very strong. Is the pulsing FF fan related to this bigger problem, or is it a separate issue?

I have my clients on standby while I figure out my next move.

Anyone out there seen this before? Any ideas?

:thanks:

Edited by Sunlight Appliance, 29 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

I can not speak from personal experience on this box because I have none.

After reading your post,I did access the Service manual and find some potential issues.

The refrigerator can go into a defrost mode on a 6 hour interval.

If the compressor fails to come back on,suspect the fresh food temp sensor and or the freezer temp sensor.

One or both can be faulty.

The 3 fan motors may not run all the time either.

#3 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thank you for this response. These manuals are sometimes hard for me to understand. So, basically, the sensors you mention are supposed to sense a rise in temperature due to the compressor being off during defrost and the heat output from the elements?

In this particular case, the senors may not be communicating a high enough temperature to the motherboard?

Thank you.

Any other comments out there?

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,770 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I agree. The manual says to check temp sensors when not coming out of defrost.  Test/change sensors first. If that doesn't work, you may have a board problem

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

This is Samsung service tip with part #'s for this unit hope it makes it easier

Service Tip (Local)

Close  

Refrigerator Stops Running Until Unplugged Category Home Appliances > Refrigerator > Bottom Freezer Model Code RB1844SL/XAA / RB1844SW/XAA / RB1855SL/XAA / RB1855SW/XAA / RB1855VQ/XAA / RB1944SL/XAA / RB1955SH/XAA / RB1955SW/XAA / RB1955VQ/XAA / RB2044SL/XAA / RB2044SW/XAA / RB2055BB/XAA / RB2055SL/XAA / RB2055SW/XAA / RB2155SH/XAA / RB2155SW/XAA Added by STEVEP Registered date 06.01.2008 Description

Symptom: Refrigerator stops running and cooling daily and will not run unless unit is unplugged and plugged back in.

Models Effected:RB units with  4 letter model numbers such as RB2055 / RB1944 / RB1844  etc .......

Possible Cause and Diagnostic Procedure.

• Check Both Defrost Circuits for Open Thermal Fuse.
  • Access Main PCB in compressor compartment and locate CN70 connector.
  • For Refrigerator compartment check for an open circuit by taking a resistance reading between WHITE and GREY / For Freezer side check between BROWN and GREY.
  • If open Thermal Fuse is identified it is recommended to replace both compartment Thermal Fuses with a Bi-Metal  as well as both Defrost Sensors.  
  • Bi-Metal # DA47-10160H
  • Sensor #DA32-00006W               

NOTE:

If one of the thermal fuses fail  the unit will not come out of defrost and will only restart when unplugged. Once unit is powered back up the board defaults to factory settings. The unit runs and will go into defrost after 4hrs of compressor run time and never come out until unit is powered down and back up again. Then 4 hours later the same thing and so on.......

Attached Files     Satisfaction Index

sat_tit_left.gif How would you rate the quality of this contents? sat_tit_right.gif     My Satisfaction  ic_moderate.gif

Confirm   Average  ic_good.gif

btenpin

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,246 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Fantastic info, bten!  Mucho domos for posting that!   :thumbsup:  :rocker:

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,770 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Excellent info indeed but only Samsung could make a fridge that will not come out of defrost due to a bad thermal fuse. For some unknown reason, I thought thermal fuses stopped fridges from going into defrost. Silly me.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 31 January 2013 - 06:34 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#8 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

So, to completely understand the bulletin graciously shared:

When an OPEN thermal fuse is found, replace BOTH fuses not with new thermal fuses but wire in DA47-10160H bimetals? And further replace BOTH defrost sensors regardless which one is actually damaged?

Thanks in advance,

Red

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Service Tip for Samsung Refrigerators that Shuts Down and Won't Re-start Until Unplugged and Plugged Back In

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 31 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

To learn more about your Samsung refrigerator or to buy parts, click here .  

Source: Samsung Refrigerator RB2155SH XAA shuts down every 6 hours

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics