Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Clearing condensate drain in Whirlpool-built Maytag french door fridge mfi2670xem0

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:RAW MILK. Yes, you sissies, I really drink it.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

I watched the Samurai's awesome video with the steamer and I have also ordered that exact same steamer.

My question is, after melting away all the ice and clearing the drain, how do you insure that this clog will not happen again?

On some defrost heaters you can do the copper wire trick where you zig-zag some thick wire along the water tray and down the drain a little. However, on this model the design is prohibitive of this trick.

Thank you in advance!

STOP building government and START building business. :miner:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

You may not be able to zig zag wire throughout the tray but you can still drop a wire down the tube after you put a little water and baking soda in it.. This is normally all I do anyhow unless I have a serious repeat frozen tray problem.  Now remember, the Samurai has all kinds of special powers and magical resistance us mortals don't have.  That's why he doesn't catch gookitis from sucking the disgusting gookus crud found in condensate  drains. He even has a special tube he keeps in his toolbag just for sucking gookus!.   :puke:

I power steam it open with a hose attachment on my steamer that fits down the tube.  I can't catch gookitis, typhus or the monkeypox that way.   BTW with this model, make sure to check  rubber gasket connected to the drain tube under the fridge. They always cause problems.  They make a replacement but I have recently done Master Kdog's v-cut modification with great success.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 29 January 2013 - 07:17 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

That's why he doesn't catch gookitis from sucking the disgusting gookus crud found in condensate  drains.

HA! I was wondering about that!

BTW with this model, make sure to check  rubber gasket connected to the drain tube under the fridge. They always cause problems.  They make a replacement but I have recently done Master Kdog's v-cut modification with great success.

Can you link this thread to Kdog's v-cut modification?

#4 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

http://appliantology...l-refrigerator/

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 29 January 2013 - 09:17 PM.
Added embedded video.

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#5 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

http://neighboursapp...king-water.html

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#6 Sunlight Appliance

Sunlight Appliance

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Thank you for this very well done article link!

So, trimming off just a little doesn't cause too much warm air to be drawn up into the freezer?

Where exactly on this grommet would Kdog's v-cut go if I wanted to do that instead?

#7 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:46 AM

http://appliantology...l-refrigerator/

Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#8 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I worried about warm air migration when I first started cutting these so I went back to the first several that I did to check.  There is no sign anywhere of increased moisture buildup ... the evap stays clear and the frost pattern completely normal.  Cutting them this way does not cause an issue.

I don't know that 'Kdog's v-cut' is ...  There are 2 types of rubber grommets - the one I showed in the post is the short one: those I cut the end off as I showed.  The other one is a longer one and tends to get sticky causing the flaps to stick together.  Those ones I notch out in the middle so that the middle part of the flaps are basically gone.

The basic idea is to prevent junk from blocking them or to prevent them from sticking together and keep the water flowing - a simple solution to a dumb problem. 

Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,685 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

Moved kdog's reply to Sunlight's question which was posted in the wrong topic...

The area marked with the arrow - if you install the newly designed duck bill, cutting the v should not be necessary as it is redesigned.

Attached Files

#10 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,366 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ran into two Lg's the other day with the same problem. One had a flap on the end of the grommet and it was wedged shut against the bottom of the drain pan. I shortened the tube a bit bit but left the flap intact . The other had a cylindrical grommet with a slit on the bottom side. Sort of like a slit cut into a barrel. Could not make a Kdog cut so I did a Strathy cut.

Btw if the new duck bill design is the longer one as depicted in the thumbnail, I have found the same problem. I put a Kdog cut in it as well

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 30 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#11 Tim M

Tim M

Kohai

• Scholar of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

The second duck bill has been replaced with yet another new drain tube see here:

http://appliantology...t-drain-p-trap/

http://appliantology...ck-valve-video/

Read more: http://appliantology.../#ixzz2iJI729cg 
Follow us: fixitnowsamurai on Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics