Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

790.78659601 Kenmore gas range delayed ignition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Not sure I have an actual issue or nut loose at control.  

Customer complaining she can smell Carbon Monoxide (I know you can't smell it,but can't convince her of that)

We had replaced bake igniter a year ago work fine until now,  checked amp draw 3.2 amps proper ignition noted.  I cleaned enough hair from under unit to knit another dog for her, advised to try and advise.  She called back her and her kiddies having migranes when stove on.

Went back out same findings good amp draw and proper ignition, being the thourogh technician I am I waited until unit reached temp.  Interesting finding, once unit was hot it was taking bake burner 20-30 seconds to lite after gas released.  

I played with air shutter trying to get the magic mix to no avail.  In despiration I "tweeked" igniter bracket to move igniter closer to burner.  Wala!! burner lites instantaniously when gas is released, all is good in my world.

One month customer calls back, getting migranes again.  I have looked for any bulletins on this and another site no joy.  I have to go back and take a look, but I have no idea.  Possibly new bake burner??  Open to suggestions.

btenpin

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

It might not be the range.
I had a similar problem with odor and even burn your eyes. Turns out they had just painted (oil base paint)wall, and stained trim.
When the fumes came in contact with flame it would cause a reaction that produced a strong smell that would give you a headache.
What are they cleaning with?
Are they using a varnish, lacquers anywhere in the house?
Does smell start when floor, range, or other items are cleaned?

Is the smell always present?
Anyways, just make sure they aren't cleaning with something that's reacting with flame to cause the smell.

If you don't have a way to check for carbon monoxide the gas company will come out right away to check for something like that. Have her call them so they can tag out the range or let them tell her it's not carbon monoxide.

On something like this I'd rather have them red tag the range or clear it. Especially if owner isn't believing you.

Edited by tpoindexter, 31 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

Test

#3 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

tpoindexter has some good suggestions. You should also check for a gas leak at the oven valve(and other valves) with a soap solution. I like BigBlu.

Stop by a home improvement store and pick up a battery operated carbon monoxide detector and check for a signal when you are there.

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

If you could borrow a Gas / Carbon Monoxide tester / sensor meter . . .

OR could also be a dead mouse / and / or mouse urine  in the Oven's insulation . . . :whistling:

only noticeable when Oven is warm . . .

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

I originally thought about the above issues.  Familular with odors related to oil based paints, varnishes and soulvents. Condition on noted when oven is 

When oven was cool it lit burner properly, but when oven heated up ignition became delayed.  That's when I "tweeked" igniter bracket.  Unit has been working properly for last 2 months.  Customer was watching and understood what issue was.  She is now reporting that it's been taking about 30 seconds after hearing gas flow for burner to actually ignite once ovens preheated.

Kenmore mod indicates it's a Frigidaire, looks like a GE.

My thought was to replace bake burner I guess.  Was looking for bulletin on issue, have bee unable to locate any.

I played with this with all the surface burners on thinking it may have been regulator issue no fluctuation in burners or difference in ignition with surface on or off.

??? 

#6 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Sorry, I thought the ignition problem was resolved an her only complaint now was odors. Sounds like the ignition is still a problem.

Test

#7 jumptrout

jumptrout

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

Clean the burner holes and pilot holes on the burner tube at the ignitor location.

Could be a white ash buildup or corrosion.

#8 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

... We had replaced bake igniter a year ago

have they used Self-Clean much ?  :nono:
That can wear-out Ignitors

note: size of Heat Shield
exposed Ignitor Element
http://www.repaircli...R=154&N=1197384

original Ignitor
Oven-Igniter-316489400-01031310.jpg

Re-use Heat Shield from old igniter.
Caution! The Element EXTREMELY fragile.
Splice wires with ceramic wire nuts.
http://www.repaircli...sp?R=154&N=3377

Oven-Igniter-12400035-01404670.jpg

#9 Wingerman

Wingerman

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cuervo Silver and Lemonade

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest, in addition to cleaning the burner, to inspect the ignitor closely for hairline cracks/residue that influence the ohm value of the ignitor AS THE IGNITOR FIRST HEATS. Remember the ignitor is a resistor AND an Ignitor. We all know that self-cleaning ovens "bake off" to clean. For this reason, look at the ignitor closely and recheck the valve coils.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Checking the ignitor's resistance is merely preliminary and is not diagnostically conclusive; something can check good on ohms and still be bad (failing under load).  For this reason, the only definitive test for an ignitor is to measure the current draw thru the ignitor.  In this case, you're looking for a minimum of 3.2 amps.  

#11 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

I need to schedule another visit to check it out.  The ignior was drawing 3.3 amps on last visit, but I'm leaning toward relpacing with OEM ignitor per Sensi's post with out cage.  I used 12400035 which has cage. Will let you know once had chance to see it again.

Thanks for the input

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

relpacing with OEM ignitor per Sensi's post with out cage.  I used 12400035 which has cage. Will let you know once had chance to see it again.

The cage doesn't affect the functionality of the ignitor one bit-- it's there to mount the ignitor to the burner tube.  

The 12400035 is a good, general-purpose replacement ignitor for all flat hot surface ignition valves.  

If the wire isn't properly positioned in the amp meter jaws, you'll get erroneous readings.  Also need to let it heat up about 30 seconds to get a stabilized reading.

Check the continuity of the gas valve bimetal.  If open, you need a new valve. 

#13 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:35 AM

... The cage doesn't affect the functionality of the ignitor one bit-- it's there to mount the ignitor to the burner tube.

I thought if the cage was there, it may tend to block the initial Gas flow while lighting  .

(depending on the placement of the holes in the Burner Tube)

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,828 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

Highly unlikely and, if proven to be the case, would indicate a faulty gas valve-- not opening all the way to allow sufficient fuel flow.

#15 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

The no cage thing I think is just another Friggy cheap out, a penny or two less metal on each part and makes the ignitor end more accessible to damage thus selling more parts!!!!

I would never use one of these unshielded ignitors!!!!

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#16 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hard time getting the customer on phone, gave optinons.  Customer is going to look at new unit 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics