Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Thermador RDDS30V Potentiometer Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have a guy who spent $$$ and time waiting for his oven control to be rebuilt back in October. I'm wanting to save him some money. Now he calls and complains that one of his left side burner controls has a spot in it where the gas turns off, but extra low works properly. I've repaired this issue in the past by replacing the potentiometer. Repair Clinic comes up with these two choices:

http://www.repaircli...lNumber=RDDS30V

and

http://www.repaircli...lNumber=RDDS30V

Partdirect comes up with the 497235

Both simmer modules look the same but the pots look different.

Under the product notes on one of my vendors' site, it says the 497234 kit comes with a 422748 pot and the 497235 comes with the 422749 both available on R/C

Does anyone have more experience with Thermador to solve this riddle?

1. Why are they telling me I have to buy a simmer module?

2. Which potentiometer is correct?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

you need to look at the old pots to compare.........they need to slip over the gas valve body ......Could be reignition problems solved with the new module.......... .............

#3 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

Tread carefully, this system has been around for 20-30 years.  As it was explained to me by Thermador (after I let smoke out of a new pot sw) The original vendor who made those is no more.  The new vendor has changed something (conspiracy?) requiring you to replace kit which includes both pot sws and new simmer control.

Over the years I have replaced hundreds of the pot sws, but no more unless it's a new unit with current control system.  If your unit calls for the kit that's what you'r going to need or you to will be sending smoke signals to.  The first one I tried just changing the pot sw worked great... for about 10 seconds and then the smoke came out.

btenpin

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,699 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

There's a service bulletin out that explains the new and old potentiometers and the new simmer controllers that are needed to work with them.  Uploaded to the Pot Luck Supper here ==> http://appliantology...rvice-bulletin/

New potentiometer and simmer controller kit ==> http://www.repaircli.../497234/1162517

Spark-Module-497234-01016178.jpg

#5 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

:thanks: You guys Rock!

I ended up needing the 497235. That bulletin came with the part. I needed it beforehand though because I am not one who likes doing things just cause somebody "say so". :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics